Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #31
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Bought a Vulcan EN750 on e-bay today

Friend of mine has a Vulcan 750. When he bought it, the gas tank was rattle-can blue and had dents and gas streaks in it.
He spent about $150 in paint and a 2005 (I think) gas tank and now you would never be able to tell that it was an '87.

They are easy bikes to work on and they're a very smooth ride.

Good find.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #32
burkbuilds

I've made a few mods since I bought the bike and I finally got out and rode it this afternoon. I'm currently working on the floorboards and trying to get the windshied to fit, it was supposed to mount up without any problems, but either they sent the wrong model, or it needs some type of adapter, or it just won't work with my bike. Got an e-mail in to customer service now waiting for a response.

I mounted the left floorboard today, and I have to make some modifications to the right mounting hardware before it will work but it shouldn't be to hard to do. Basically I need to get some 7/8" square solid bar stock, cut the existing piece off the mounting bracket and weld a 3 1/2" long piece of the bar stock in it's place, then drill a 1/2" hole through in the correct location and cut a 45 degree bevel on the end so it will pivot up if I drag the "pegs".

I've replaced the front fender with a chrome one, added saddle bags, relocated the front turn signal lights and converted all my lights except the headlight to LED's. I've moved the rectifier out from underneath the battery box to a location near the passenger foot pegs on the left side so it will get some airflow and I changed the brake light lens to clear with colored led bulbs. Here are a few picks some before and some after mods.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #33
blaine

Looking good.I like the clear tail light,it makes a big difference in the rear of the bike. :2tup: :cool:

Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Good repositioning of the front signals. I am going to assume this is to help windshield installation or ............ maybe not. Do the front signals also act as running lights ? If they do there is the triangle effect in your lighting to make you more noticeable head on.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #35
mole2

Very nice ride. I like the chrome front fender and the bags do it justice. Everything you've done looks good. Good luck with her and ride safe.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #36
burkbuilds

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. The front signal lights are also running lights and I did move them down to accommodate a windshield, however when I attempted to install it this weekend, it did not fit because it hits the headlight and the guages. Got an e-mail in to the company, hopefully they just sent the wrong hardware or shield or something and it will be easily remedied.

I switched the front signal lights out to white LED's and did the same with my 500, and it does seem to make me more noticeable to traffic, but maybe that is just my gut feeling and not really grounded in any measurable facts. It just seems like less cages are pulling out in front of me since I did the switch.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #37
blaine

I put a set of 2" M-16 lights on mine,under the signal lights.I put 20w bulbes in them so they wouldn't over power the charging system.I find I'm more noticable in the daytime.They also light the ditches up at night.

:cool:

Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #38
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
The front signal lights are also running lights and I did move them down to accommodate a windshield, however when I attempted to install it this weekend, it did not fit because it hits the headlight and the guages. Got an e-mail in to the company, hopefully they just sent the wrong hardware or shield or something and it will be easily remedied.
I have the National Cycle street shield EX on my 454.It is a universal fit,and came with hardware for 7/8 & 1" bars.My signal lights & gages are the same as your 750.The shield cleared the signal lights without moving
them.

(not a picture of my bike,just the shield.)

Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #39
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I put a set of 2" M-16 lights on mine,under the signal lights.I put 20w bulbes in them so they wouldn't over power the charging system.I find I'm more noticable in the daytime.They also light the ditches up at night.

Be prepared to replace the bulbs now and again. They get hot and any vibration will shorten their life. I am not sure how but I have collected a box full of MR-16 bulbs in 20/35/50 watt flavors. I even have two 50 watt amber bulbs. Last year I installed MR-16 LED's in my driving lights for the triangular effect and longer life. They are quite visible to oncoming traffic but will not really light up the road any better than a Bic lighter. Mission accomplished at 2.4 watts total draw. Some Walmarts have them in stock.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #40
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
They are quite visible to oncoming traffic but will not really light up the road any better than a Bic lighter. Mission accomplished at 2.4 watts total draw. Some Walmarts have them in stock.
When I changed my bulbs to 20w,I used a flood lite style,rather than a spot lite style.They are the same bulb used in track lighting.The light is spread out in a much wider pattern,and makes a big difference in visibility to the sides of the road.
W.W do you have any experience with the MR-16 l.e.d.s that I see for sale at Wal Mart lately?I was thinking higher output with less draw on the charging system.Wal Mart is the only store I've seen them at yet.
:2tup: