Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #31
Water Warrior 2

Re: Toying with new bike idea

I don't play piano but I'll venture a guess and say that Alan has developed good posture for riding with years at a keyboard.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #32
alanmcorcoran

The pain points remain a bit of a mystery for me. In previous threads I went on (and on) about the cramping/tightness/stiffness I get in the (neck/back) muscles that hold up your head and turn it side to side. On this trip I noticed I didn't get this cramping when doing the twisties, only when doing highway. It might be due to wind buffeting, or a death grip or the position. I tried a lot of experimenting - sometimes the spasms would get intense when I attempted to check blind spots, and other times it would just be annoying. Hard to pin down - had time to do a lot of experimentation, on-bike exercises (and a couple tylenol) on my 564 mile day but didn't really come to any conclusions. My prime suspect is wind buffeting and trying to keep my head steady.

I have a second pain point about 5 or 6 inches above my coccyx. I think the area for classic lower back pain. It's not real intense, but it's not the sort of thing you want to get worse. I was curious - what is best, sitting up ramrod straight (butt out, spine in, shoulders back) or slouching (spine relaxed, even convex, shoulders forward)? I tried both, but neither was particularly better than the other. Sitting up stright exposes me to more buffeting cause my head is higher and there's more wind up there. I even tried a semi sport bike position where I tucked my face dpown under the shield. As I said, very hard to pin this shit down. I am still a bit sore today from Saturday's ride (not in the assular region, at all, mostly the tight upper middle back and the lower spine area. I think unless you have ridden for three hours or more, and are past 40 (preferably well past) you won't be familiar with any of this.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #33
burkbuilds

WW, if you aren't feeling good about your current ride and if that is impacting your enjoyment of riding, then I think I'll second Sarris on his recommendation. Why spend another year riding a bike you are concerned about dropping when you could be confidently riding something that "fit" you better. Three hundred bucks above your "limit" on the price? What's it gonna cost you if you drop your current ride and hurt your back? You need to think that one over a bit more. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #34
Water Warrior 2

BB, $300 over my self impossed limit is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If that was the deciding factor then I shouldn't even consider another ride. It was merely a ballpark figure to keep me in check and not go overboard and into an ocean of debt.
That is only about 3% difference in numbers overall. Popping for 20 or 30 % more is where one starts digging a hole. Bad Karma.
Just remembered something my local trusted Yamaha dealer mention when I told him today that I would have to pass on the 950 V Star. We can get you a new Suzuki with a valid warranty !!!!! Cool, way cool. Something to think about and I really gotta go see another Zuk dealer for a price, they are closing up shop and may deal a bit better. This may all be just an exercise with an end result of nothing but what the hell. I'm retired and need to keep busy. Today I even got a clear windshield for my camera on the bike. No more bugs in the lens covers and jamming things.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #35
alanmcorcoran

I agree. The dithering around, comparing and testing is a fun distraction in itself.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
dhgeyer

So Smythe, the Bobby, is standing on the corner. Down the street comes Old Darby on his ancient Norton 750 motorbike. He comes to a stop and immediately topples over. Smythe runs to his aid, and together they get the motorbike righted. Darby thanks him, and continues on around the corner. Right off Smythe hears another crash, and running around the corner, there is Old Darby again with the Norton on top of him.

Well, together they get it righted again. Darby, a bit flustered, says "I just don't understand it. As you know, Mary died last week. I just got around to taking the sidecar off this morning, and ever since, every time I stop I fall down!".
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #37
alanmcorcoran

Toying with new bike idea

Got a mad map at the Chicago HD shop. No bikes at this one except the antiques on display.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
So Smythe, the Bobby, is standing on the corner. Down the street comes Old Darby on his ancient Norton 750 motorbike. He comes to a stop and immediately topples over. Smythe runs to his aid, and together they get the motorbike righted. Darby thanks him, and continues on around the corner. Right off Smythe hears another crash, and running around the corner, there is Old Darby again with the Norton on top of him.

Well, together they get it righted again. Darby, a bit flustered, says "I just don't understand it. As you know, Mary died last week. I just got around to taking the sidecar off this morning, and ever since, every time I stop I fall down!".
Old habits die hard. Being used to a side car can be dangerous.

One of my coffee buds fell over one morning on the way to work. He is almost my age with sensitive knees which froze up in the lower morning temps. He came to a stop and couldn't put either foot down. Must have been funny to see. Luckily no injuries.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #39
dhgeyer

Sooner or later we're all gonna have to either give it up, or go to sidecar rigs, Harley, or Gold Wing trikes, or Can Am Spyders. I know people that have done that, exactly because their knees gave out with age.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #40
Water Warrior 2

I am really starting to hate you guys. You make me do mean things to my imagination and What If program in my mind. Test rode a demo C-50 Zuk. Bags, windshield, pass backrest, floor boards and a few other dodads. Floor boards and heel toe shifter were a surprisingly easy change to adapt to after a few kms. A nice bike overall with a bit less performance than Lynda's M-50 probably due to more weight and only having minimal break in time. It's twin with no kms on it is the 9,300 dollar bike I mentioned earlier.
Blue in color and no kms is a good thing. So I made one final stop with the help of the GPS and guess what. New bike in black, same stuff and a better price out the door. Fantastic I say to WW. Then I try to say something to the dealer. Tried to say " I have one more stop to make at the Credit Union( I will be borrowing half the price)." All he heard was " I have one more stop to make. " and he threw me out the door. Yup, I was impressed a bunch. I know he doesn't want me to take his price to the next dealer to compare and dither about. He is tired of that crap and I understand but at least let me finish my statement.
Later I related this tale to my local Yamaha dealer who goes way back with the Zuk dealer. John(Yamaha)defused the situation over the phone and made a couple recommendations to me about the Zuk dealer. The plot thickens and who knows what will happen tomorrow. Stand by guys.