Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 08-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #31
Sarris

Out o' gas

Don't be too paranoid. I usually hit reserve at 180 to 185 miles. I've gotten used to reaching down and flipping to reserve on the roll. I never even miss a beat. When I get to the gas station the first thing I do is flip off of reserve. The second thing I do is reset the odometer to zero. Then I fill up.

This ritual keeps me from pushing so long as I don't have a senior moment and forget what the hell I'm supposed to do.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #32
Orpheus

Re: petcock broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy
twice I have run out of gas on the GZ
both times I had the petcock in the proper position.
the second time I intentionally ran out of gas while set to ON to test the petcock
after switching to the RES the bike did not run.
I coasted down the road to a safe spot to pull off.
The bike would not restart in RES position or PRIME position
Same thing here. I ran out again a couple of weeks ago and I definitely had it switched to ON. After letting it prime for a while, it wouldn't start in RES or PRIME, and I ended up having to walk a couple of blocks to a gas station. I'm figuring that I must have the same problem as you posted in the later post with the pics of the petcock. I'm just going to make sure that I fill up before 200 miles from now on.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #33
mcintyre_aerospace

I dont really know how often I fill up. Ive only ran out 2 times, having to push it around a mile or two, but this bike is a real easy pusher, it may be to good because it seamed like I would have to jog to keep up with it on a flat road, it just rolls really easy. As for filling it up, i fill it all the way until it allmost spills out the top, no problems as of yet. Whenever I go out of town I take a little liter bottle of gas with me just in case.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #34
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre_aerospace
I dont really know how often I fill up. Ive only ran out 2 times, having to push it around a mile or two,
You do know about that little REServe trick, don't you ??? :oops: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #35
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre_aerospace
As for filling it up, i fill it all the way until it allmost spills out the top, no problems as of yet.
You're supposed to only fill it up to the botton edge of the 'filler pipe', which is the cylinder inside the tank that fits the cap. If you fill it up to a too high level, fuel can spill when the bike is in the sun. I always fill it up until the fuel definitely touches the rear bottom edge of the 'filler pipe', but it shouldn't touch the front bottom edge.

And like 'Easy' said, there is a 0.7 gallons reserve capacity in the tank - I just used it today - when the bike starts hesitating and sputtering a bit, reach under the tank and turn the petcock from "ON" (points to the front) to "RES" (points to the back) and you're good for another 40 miles at least.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #36
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
How 5th described is exactly how I've been doing it. I fill with the bike on the stand to the bottom of the filler cap.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #37
Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Mine was empty and I filled it until the auto shut-off on the nozzle kicked in, then added a little more until I got up to what seemed to be close to the bottom of the fill neck. It was barely over 2 gallons according to the pump. Am I not filling it enough? I have a CA bike with a 3.4 gallon tank.
You use the auto-fill option when you pump gas for your bike? When my partner took me to the gas station so I could fill my bike for the first time, he said that I should always go by sight and not rely on something like that. If something were to go wrong, I’d have gas all over my bike and myself. (FYI, this did actually happen once when I was filling the tank on my car – it was a mess! The auto-off feature didn’t work and gas just started pouring out all over my car and my feet. I was pissed off, and the folks at the gas station didn’t do anything about it (offer to pay for that tank, offer to pay for the car wash, etc.). Then I ended up with a scratched car because I was in a rush and forgot to check if anyone had shoved something into the brushes at the wash-yourself car wash. (*@#&$#$ teenagers had shoved some rocks into the brush and I scratched the paint on a newer car.

I’d be scared to death to ever use auto-fill. I pump slowly into my tank and watch the gas rise. No way I’m soaking my bike and myself in gasoline 
Old 08-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #38
Comike14

Hmm, I used to run out of gas often, but the reserve was always more than enough to get me to a station. What I ended up doing was (because I was never always consistent on the throttle) to head to a gas station at 150 miles. That way I know I still have at least a dozen or so miles to go before the reserve, and the fill-up costs that much less. I was filling up about once a week, but never really had to put in more than 2.75 gallons.

On the post above, Jenny, I always did it by sight. I would stand my bike up straight (straddling it) and fill it to within about an inch from the top, then slowly lean it back to the kick-stand position so no gas would slosh out. That was enough gas to fill it up, but leave enough room to fit the cap back on and leave a little air in the tank. I can't imagine letting the auto-click thing decide when to shut the pump off.

And just a couple general tips from one who has been screwed by once (I'm sure they've been stated, but to re-iterate):

1. Always reset your odometer back to 0 when you fill up before you turn your bike back on.
2. Always make sure you've reset your fuel switch to the main tank from the reserve when you fill up before your turn your bike back on.

Been caught pushing my bike for failing to do both. These are little bikes, but they get real heavy uphill.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #39
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
On the post above, Jenny, I always did it by sight. I would stand my bike up straight (straddling it) and fill it to within about an inch from the top,
Well now there's a REALLY bad habit you need to work on un-learning.

Something happens so that gas splashes out .......it runs down on the hot engine where it ignites.
And there you are with the nozzle in hand, flames exploding in your face and unable to make a hasty exit because you are straddling the bike.

Bad. VERY bad. :cuss:
Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #40
Jer

O_o