Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #31
Water Warrior 2

Re: Oil Cooler?

For sure Mr. Softie. Idle wheels are the Devils workshop.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #32
CMS

I''ve seen other bikes, such as the Suzuki DR200, that have oil coolers on what appears to be the same engine, depending on the market its sold in .The American version of the DR200 does not have an oil cooler, but the Japanese /European ones do . It's sold as a "farm" bike, but it 's the same bike.I think its a logical idea,and with the engine [ GZ250] used in many other bikes, I would not be surprised to see an external oil cooled version somewhere in Suzuki's inventory. CMS

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #33
Joho

Guys... the GZ is air-cooled for a reason... that reason being that the engine is small enough to not need any of these farkles!

If you're wanting to make sure your oil is at the right temperature, then keep your engine in tip top condition! (Spark plug for correct firing, clean oil filter to remove blockages, and high quality oil!!)

Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #34
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho
Guys... the GZ is air-cooled for a reason... that reason being that the engine is small enough to not need any of these farkles!
I agree with the last part of your post, but this part is not a valid reason.

There are many air-cooled large-bore bikes out there. The 1854cc Yamaha Stratoliner is a good example.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #35
alanmcorcoran

True, but it was one of my concerns. The Yamaha gets a lot hotter than the Suzi, but I've burnt something on both of them at this point. You have to use your head - if it's 95 degrees out, don't be sitting out in parking lot traffic for hours at a time. Split the lanes or go park it until you can move. They don't like to sit still.

When I was researching the Yamaha, I read a number of reports of air cooled Harleys (sorry, Sarris) getting so hot their owners couldn't sit on them. But, apparently, if I remember correctly, Harley invented a slick solution - shut down one cylinder when idling (or something like that.) Not sure if it works, but it sounded like a cool idea. Don't think I have that on the Strat.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #36
Sarris

My 1996 Suzuki VS-1400 Intruder chopper (my old avatar) was specified as air/oil cooled and did indeed have and oil cooler from the mfgr. The VS-800 Intruder was water cooled. The GZ is third world transpo designed to have low maintenance, cheap to run, and excellent longevity. If the GeeZee needed an oil cooler, Mr Suzuki probably would have put one on.

Parade duty Harley's have massive oil coolers. All the 09 Big Twins have an auto rear cylinder shutdown for overheating. (also has manual control by twisting the throttle grip Backwards....hmmmm)

If I get stuck for over 10 mins in traffic I'll find an alternate route. I'm smart enough not to sit there and let the bike (or me for that matter) overheat. Duh.

If the bike is overheating it's too damn hot to ride anyway. It's Guinness time!!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #37
alanmcorcoran

Sarris,

I was looking at '07's and the one that seemed to get the worst press was something called an Ultra Classic Electra Glide.

This was a typical thread: http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthu ... &veh=38808
Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #38
Sarris

It's mainly bikes that have fairing lowers (the part in front of your shin) that is mounted to the crash bar. They block too much air flow. My Streetglide has only the batwing fairing. No lowers, no tour pak (pizza box).

It gets above 95 degress w/ 100% humidity here some summer days and I've never experienced any bike over heating. The fat bastard in the seat overheats looooong before the bike.

BTW, the dude in the article is right that it takes about $2k to make your new $21k HD run right. Air Cleaner kit, FI re-map, pipes, and labor. Most HD guys have no overheating issues unless they are REAL granny drivers or stuck in stop & go traffic for an hour or more w/ high temps.

:lol:
Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #39
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
...it takes about $2k to make your new $21k HD run right.
...and that is an absolutely f*cking ridiculous concept. A $21k bike should run RIGHT from the first mile, without any tinkering. Hell, a $2k bike should be the same way! :bang:
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 AM   #40
alanmcorcoran

Sarris,

My understanding is, back in '07 anyway, the HD folks blamed the problems on too strict emissions standards. There was a bit of eyebrow raising at this, even in the hard core HD community, when the HD dealers just happened to have all the right add-on/custom stuff (for the 2K mentioned) to correct the issue.

You gotta love HD, they sell a premium priced bike, at full list or over, that has a basic, serious design flaw, and, rather than revolt, it appears many of their loyal patrons willingly paid an extra 2K to put their bikes right. Some of them even chastised the few that had the temerity to complain. It seems like once a company is adopted by the blue collar "real America" (you know, the one Ms. Palin referred too) they will put up with just about anything.

I'm not an American-made hater (I have a Suburban and I like it okay, ten years in an no serious problems, except the @#$-in! radio died) nor am I an HD basher. I sincerely hope that the newer HD's, even if they are still pricey, aren't going the way of 1980's Detroit. If you are going to charge a fat premium, and you have a loyal following of die-hard fans willing to pay it, screwing them over with shoddy product is un-Christian, un-American and, really, unforgivable.