Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #31
mole2

Re: I got hired ! In Raleigh !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
According to Yamaha their Star 650 is geared and tuned for a speed of 55 mph to achieve comfort and smoothness in top gear. Having never ridden one I can't confirm this but it would without a doubt be faster than that and ridden faster by most owners.
I've been up to 85 mph (per speedometer) on it with no vibration and it still had power left. I believe the top end is between 100 and 110 mph but don't quote me on that and I'm never going to see it. It handles nice at 583 pounds (Silverado model which includes the bags, brackets, sissy bar and windshield - I've a bit more on it) and holds the road well. At 55 mph I can ride it all day and, yes, it's comfortable to me. A lot of people complain about the seat so they replace them with Mustang, etc. What they don't realize is those seats push you a bit forward and they have back support built in. I cheaped out and installed a rider back support and it was like it was a different seat. The backrest pushes you forward a bit and really supports my back well and at 1/5 the price who's to complain. lol I can ride for hours with no pain (I've got a bad lower back) and am quite comfortable. I get around 50 mpg on it which isn't shabby. I'm really happy with my choice. It'd be nice to have a bit more hp but with the riding I do and my conservative riding style it isn't necessary. I do want to try a long day trip into the mountains here but I have to find a riding partner to do that. My good friend and riding partner moved back to NY for his wife to take a job offer - they needed the medical coverage on her until she turns 65.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #32
ecr959

Quote:
The backrest pushes you forward a bit and really supports my back well and at 1/5 the price who's to complain. lol I can ride for hours with no pain (I've got a bad lower back) and am quite comfortable. I get around 50 mpg on it which isn't shabby. I'm really happy with my choice. It'd be nice to have a bit more hp but with the riding I do and my conservative riding style it isn't necessary.
It sounds great. Hey Mole, I would love to see a few pics of your bike, if you have any already posted. And I'd like to see the backseat , too.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #33
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecr959
Hi Mole , I agree with you, as long as we're on 2 wheels. I will certainly get in touch with you when we're close to May. You know I just started this motorcycle kick, just since last august. At 56 , I'm having such a great time learning something new and liking it.

Hey, tell me about that 650. A pearl white , VStar 650. ITs sounds beautiful. Tell me how it rides on the interstate. You must have a ball cruising long distance on it. Does it still handle like a small bike, or did you have to make some changes , (compared to handling the gz ?)
See my reply above to Water Warrior. I haven't had it on I95 yet but we have a road here, SC31, where the speed limit is 65 and it'll cruise that just fine with power to spare. She's light enough for around town cruising, running errands, and pleasure riding yet she's heavy enough to feel a lot more stable in the wind than the GZ ever did. There was some adjustment going from the GZ to the V-Star. In the very beginning it felt big. The ride home from Wilmington NC to Longs SC (about 65 miles) was a little intimidating at first. Especially since I had to go over one of those steel plate bridges. ugh! But after a few miles I started to settle in. I'd imagine I'd go through the same thing if and when I ever move up from this one.

I got it as a bare bike with only a sissy bar as an extra. I added the Silverado saddle bags with brackets, the Silverado windshield, a Barons Highway Bar, a billet clock on the handle bars, a leather bib with pocket on the gas tank, a Grasshopper Ltd rider seat back (highly recommended), a Yamaha leather windshield bag, a Kuryakyn Triple Whammy Run-Turn-Brake Controller, Custom Dynamics LED lights for the taillight and outboard lights (really bright), Hot Leather lever covers with fringe, Yamaha 55w halogen Passing Lamps, luggage rack and a vinyl trunk. She's outfitted just the way I wanted her. The pictures below are without the leather lever covers and the leather windshield bag. The white pearl really looks nice and gets that rose/blueish patena in the sunlight. If you do come here next summer I'll let you take it for a spin to see how you like it.

Fat old me on my Pearl.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #34
ecr959

WOW, she is beautiful. Those pics are super great. I love the color. You decked her up like I would, everything you got I would also get (except the little teddy bear on the tank, hahaha). You're a satisfied , happy rider, I'm sure. :2tup:
Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #35
JWR

Great looking bike. :2tup:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #36
Water Warrior 2

Where did you get the Teddy pocket? Looks neat.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #37
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Where did you get the Teddy pocket? Looks neat.
It's a Yamaha tank bib but I bought it off of eBay and saved a few bucks. Do a search on tank bib with your model bike. If you just put in tank bib you'll see them all. Also try tank bra.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #38
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
Great looking bike. :2tup:
Thank you. :biggrin:

Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #39
Gz Rider

Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #40
blaine

Beautiful bike.The white 650's always caught my eye.I would love to have one.Unfortunately with the demise of the Vulcan 500,these bikes are getting harder & harder to come by.Anybody that has one,is not letting go.
:cool: