Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #31
alanmcorcoran

Re: Valve adjustment for the GZ250

Yes. When I got it back the first time, I indicated I suspected that they hadn't really done the 3K service as detailed in the manual because there was no itemization or charge for a valve inspection/adjustment. (I also found oil in the drain tube from the air box and it was obvious no one had looked at the spark plug.) They claimed they "HAD" done one for "free" but I didn't really buy it. The second "fix" was a complete eff-up, they just basically said, "Yep, it's f*cked." But, the THIRD time, it really was fixed - carb clean, emmisions, valve adjustment. Not sure what actually fixed it, but it's running real good again. Idles real nice and no stalling. I can drop the choke off after a few minutes or so, and only need half choke to get it started. No funny racing around and idling drift.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #32
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Idles real nice and no stalling. I can drop the choke off after a few minutes or so, and only need half choke to get it started. No funny racing around and idling drift.
Yep, that was mine last year. Hope the new air filter fixes it; will know tomorrow as the temp. is supposed to near 70 and the shop called to say the new filter is in. Got lots of errands to run after being gone all weekend.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #33
Canuck

Im getting the Valves adjust tomorrow...

Im NOT SURE if it will be the solution but after taking the week old spark plug out it is sooty black around half the threads, around the ring and is greywhite on the little metal thing on the very top...

The Idle mixture screw is set to 2.75

It is idling much better then it was and when fully warmed is not stalling as far as i have seen...

Im going to adjust the throttle to its manual specs and tomorrow see how the valve adjustment goes...

Last time i had it done was around 10,000 kms and I've done some pretty long trips and have been riding all winter long...

Ill switch to 92 octane as the manual suggests (I have been always been using 94 octane)

I've also been considering getting a compression test just to make sure its operating at full. If not then I will start to look for exhaust leaks where they bolt onto the engine.. As ive posted before i have rusted bolts and have never had the gaskets changed...

couldnt hurt? except if those bolts snapped off!

*sigh*

See how it goes, wish me luck

Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #34
alanmcorcoran

It is possible that you are not getting the choke completely shutoff. That would explain your fouled (new plug) and the racing. Not sureit would actually cause a stal though. When they adjust your valves, have them check and clean the carb.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #35
roncg41677

Chris, thanks for the info. I'd love to see that video! I've had some VHS stuff transferred to DVD before at a video shop, and it's not expensive at all. Might be worth it so you could easily copy it on a computer and pass it along .

I'd love to learn how to adjust the valves. I've learned to disassemble and clean the carbs. I have a good friend who built race cars for many years and works on his cars/boats/engines with the precision of a surgeon. He showed me how to take apart the carbs, what was what etc. It's so valuable to have an experienced friend to help. The guys here are the NEXT best thing :biggrin: .

All the talk about novices not messing with engines got me thinking though. Can you practice some of these things on a much smaller engine, like a lawn mower? Finding a cheap non-working one would be easy, and if you mess it up in the process you're not out but $20 or whatever.
~ Matthew 6:33 ~

Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #36
adrianinflorida

Mine's ready for the valve adjustment and carb cleaning tomorrow morning. Got the gastank off, fixed the clutch position switch wire that was giving me issues a while back and will do the 'teardown' of the carb and valve access covers when I get up.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #37
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
Im getting the Valves adjust tomorrow...
As I posted in anothe thread, PLEASE tell the shop what problems you have been having and ask them to FIX it. Your spark plug report still points to a major carb. problem.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:24 AM   #38
kaput

Send a message via MSN to kaput

Easy Rider,
Do not be scared to do your own repairs!
And please do not scare others to do what they should be doing.
Why would you want to stop folks from improving their bikes?
You accused me of never working on an engine but the first thing I know from working on my VW bus is you must check the valves, the carb, and the spark.
I checked these things and now my bike runs perfectly.
Either you are an idiot or I am a genius.
-=kaput=-
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #39
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput
Easy Rider,
Do not be scared to do your own repairs!
And please do not scare others to do what they should be doing.
Oh God, here we go again.
Let's see if I can do this without a pissing contest.........

I know about engines. I rebuilt my first one when I was 16....about 45 years ago.....a twin thumper John Deere.....with some help from my Dad.

Just because you and I can do it doesn't mean that EVERYBODY can or should be doing it.
If I have assessed your skills incorrectly, I appologize.

The fact remains that some people just don't have much mechanical savy or skill. You can usually tell that after only a few posts. I do not think it is a prudent to encourage someone who apparently doesn't know which way to turn a bolt to remove it to do his own repairs. Do you, really??

I usually assume that people have a bike because they want to RIDE it.
If they bought it as a project to learn engine mechanics, then that's a WHOLE different story......but this is a RIDERS forum and not an online course in engine mechanics.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #40
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I usually assume that people have a bike because they want to RIDE it.
That's me. For the record kaput, Easy and others encouraged me to change my own oil. I'm not stupid or interested enough to try and adjust my valves. I know the basics of an internal combustion engine, and I've had the head off my moped, rebuilt lawnmowers and so on, but the last GZ problem I had, even the the dealership needed three tries to fix it.

I think if you look back through the threads, Easy and the other mechanic types (softie, tryke, JWR, etc.) generally encourage "maintenance" things like tightening, lubricating, adjusting (idle, f'rinstance), even plug cleaning/replacement but discourage mechanical newbs from major repairs. Even though it sounds condescending, I think it's good advice.