Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
davidc83

Hey Bob,
Remember the Franklin meet last summer when I followed you to Tallahassee. 2500 mile round trip for me. On the way back, I coverd 840 miles in 2 days, 550 miles on day 1. On the 550 mile day, I only stopped when the gas tank needed it- 3 stops.

Hey guys, for luggage, I used a suitcase which I bungee cord to the pillion seat, lenth-wise layed down across the seat; used the back tail lights and the shocks for anchor points. I made a 1100 mile trip and the 2500 mile trip with the suitcase like that with no problems on the shocks or the tail lights. Here is a picture of me going thru Deals Gap (the dragon) with the suitcase on the back; you may have to copy and paste the URL:
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPa ... 176&po=176.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #22
Badbob

I remember. I also remember you getting excited when you thought you had got a 100 mpg riding with the Rebels.

My favorite luggage is the big yellow dry bags I get at WalMart for about $10. I've rode through some very heavy rain with these and never got a drop of water in one.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
Sounds like a great trip.

I've been lusting after a V-Strom DL650 for awhile but I don't have room in the garage for one. Please post a report after your trip. I'm particularly interested in how well they travel together.
I lied about the correction earlier. Somehow got befuddled with miles and klicks. 4940.9 kms on the trip meter of the Vstrom. Lynda logged a few more visiting friends and relatives while I vegged out and recovered(old guy syndrome). Will do a report and try for a few pics later.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

For what it's worth, I've been reading over the great motorcycle encyclopedia the last few nights and I've read stories about old BSA 125s making cross country trips. These bad boys only made somewhere around 9bhp. This was also before the days of electronic ignitions.

I've gained a much greater appreciation for what this little bike can do just by reading about where motorcycling, in general, has come from.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 AM   #25
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
For what it's worth, I've been reading over the great motorcycle encyclopedia the last few nights and I've read stories about old BSA 125s making cross country trips. These bad boys only made somewhere around 9bhp. This was also before the days of electronic ignitions.

I've gained a much greater appreciation for what this little bike can do just by reading about where motorcycling, in general, has come from.
Got a link to this motorcycle encyclopedia. It sounds like something I would want to read.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #26
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Actually, I went the old school route and actually purchased a real book.

I don't have the exact name and author information with me but I'll get it to you.

EDIT~
IIRC: It's simply called "The Motorcycle Encyclopedia" and I think it it's either written or edited by someone named Hugo.

EDIT II~ Here you go. Written by Hugo Wilson
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Moto ... 0789401509
Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #27
blaine

Re: pre ride question

Don't sell this bike short.It is very capibile

Old 02-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #28
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 AM   #29
alanmcorcoran

Yo Patrick, on other sites I see that they lock up old threads after a certain period of time. Perhaps this is something GZ250bike might consider?

And no need to reply with your usual suggestion... I shall go fuck myself in accordance with our mutually agreed upon disposition for these sorts of inquiries.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #30
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Threads are usually left open in case someone wants to add an update to them. The board actually has an auto-lock feature for threads, but it's turned off. We've all seen old threads come back to life with some decent (and sometimes new) discussion.

I'm always looking for excuses to use smart-ass pictures though.