Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
ppride14

Re: Need advice on purchase!!!

I missed out on it lol. But there's another I would like some advice on...its an '01 gz250 with only 2400 miles on it. However, the guy said it is 49 state compliant and I live in the great state of California....meaning he couldn't register it in CA and neither will I. Anyone know a loophole in the system? I can get the bike for $650 which is a smoking deal because that thing is CLEAN. But, no sense if I can't ride it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
mrlmd1

Look around for another S40, (or even an S50). You'll be happier with a slightly bigger bike and won't outgrow it so soon.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppride14
I missed out on it lol. But there's another I would like some advice on...its an '01 gz250 with only 2400 miles on it. However, the guy said it is 49 state compliant and I live in the great state of California....meaning he couldn't register it in CA and neither will I. Anyone know a loophole in the system? I can get the bike for $650 which is a smoking deal because that thing is CLEAN. But, no sense if I can't ride it!
You have any relatives just over the state line? Register the bike to them, with a different state plate and keep insurance on it?

I don't know man... California sucks about that kind of stuff.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
ppride14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Look around for another S40, (or even an S50). You'll be happier with a slightly bigger bike and won't outgrow it so soon.
I would tend to agree with you. However, I also don't plan on very much (if any) highway mileage. Therefore, the 250 is probably enough bike for me to star plus I like the better mpg. Does anyone know where the CA emissions sticker is on the GZ250? The guy seems to think someone took the sticker off. If so do any of you know where or if I can order a new sticker ?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

The California bikes have a charcoal canister on the drivers side leg, near the side covers. I believe they also may have a TPS.... but that could be the Euro bike I am thinking of.

There is also a serial code number on your carb. You can take that number and cross reference the service manual that we have available here on the site to determine which carb you are working with. There were only 2 different kinds, IIRC, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #26
mrlmd1

Mpg is not an issue. According to the Suzuki website the S40 gets 63 mpg and I can tell you my S50 gets about 50-55 mpg conservatively ridden.
An S40 would really suit you better because of your size and is still a "starter" bike if you wish to regard it that way, and is a single cylinder, easy to work on like the GZ, and just as reliable. Keep looking.
Here's a listing from my local CL down in Tallahassee FL for example.
http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/3788554491.html
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #27
ppride14

So it seems that the bike wouldn't register here because it was missing the emissions sticker (why someone would take it off Idk). Do any of you know if and where you can get a replacement emissions sticker for the bike? It's an 01. Or if someone has access and can get a CA approved one I would be more than happy to pay for it and then some...stupid DMV wouldn't register the bike without an emissions sticker.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I'm assuming the owner is the one who told you this?

You can get a new emissions sticker by taking the bike in somewhere and having an emissions test done on it. But it probably doesn't have one because it failed emissions in CA. You can't just slap another sticker on there. It's illegal.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
ppride14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq

You can get a new emissions sticker by taking the bike in somewhere and having an emissions test done on it. But it probably doesn't have one because it failed emissions in CA. You can't just slap another sticker on there. It's illegal.
There aren't any emissions tests on motorcycles. California is just ridiculous in that they have MINOR differences (like a charcoal canister) on the CA approved bikes and if it doesn't have those things and is only federally approved it won't register here till it has 7500 miles. I was just wondering if one could have the bike inspected and changed over to be CA approved so I could register it.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #30
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppride14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq

There aren't any emissions tests on motorcycles. California is just ridiculous in that they have MINOR differences (like a charcoal canister) on the CA approved bikes and if it doesn't have those things and is only federally approved it won't register here till it has 7500 miles. I was just wondering if one could have the bike inspected and changed over to be CA approved so I could register it.
That's weird. We don't have emissions testing where I am but in the urban areas south of me (Atlanta) to my knowledge, bikes get emissions testing just like cars do before registration...

I guess I'm just a little ignorant on the process for Cali.
Maybe someone will chime in here and set you straight. It's a great price for the bike and I hope it all works out for you.