blaine

Re: She might be dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul10141964
It is also a valve seal. :cool:

Old 02-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #23
supersquid

Okay, I got the parts in (ordered online and didn't have to wait for a 5th grader to make them in Japan, they had them in stock) and I started reading the service manual on how to do the rebuild. I read a forum post about not having to remove the engine in order to do a top end rebuild, but what are y'all's thoughts about that? The service manual says to remove it. Also, any advise on the Piston pin puller tool? The manual says to get one but I know there are lots of little tricks to get around having to use the tools service manuals recommend.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #24
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersquid
Okay, I got the parts in (ordered online and didn't have to wait for a 5th grader to make them in Japan, they had them in stock) and I started reading the service manual on how to do the rebuild. I read a forum post about not having to remove the engine in order to do a top end rebuild, but what are y'all's thoughts about that? The service manual says to remove it. Also, any advise on the Piston pin puller tool? The manual says to get one but I know there are lots of little tricks to get around having to use the tools service manuals recommend.

No. there is no need to pull the engine for a top-end rebuild.
But a warning: label the bolts when you take them out of the head cover and head. Don't ask why, just believe that I know.
As for the piston pin puller, I don't know for sure as I didn't remover mine.
But, I've never used one on any other engine I've worked on.
I'm sure someone here will know, if there is something different about this one.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
supersquid

After thinking about it, I don't really have a need to pull the piston if all I have to do is replace the o rings once I get the cylinder sleeve off. Also, did you have to get the sleeve re-honed? I haven't started taking things apart for the day but my biggest worry is having to get machine shop work done on it when I'm working on a saturday.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #26
JWR

I would think the cylinder should be OK.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #27
supersquid

Okay thanks!! Hopefully I'll be back on the roads by tonight. Also, for the timing chain, do you just take the gear off at the top or do you use a chain link extraction tool? The manual was very vague about it
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #28
OldNTired

Quote:
Okay thanks!! Hopefully I'll be back on the roads by tonight. Also, for the timing chain, do you just take the gear off at the top or do you use a chain link extraction tool? The manual was very vague about it
You can just unbolt the cam (etc) and remove the cam to get the chain off. Just be
CAREFUL NOT to let the chain fall into the case. I used a plastic tie to hold it up
so it didn't fall in.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #29
supersquid

I have it apart and followed the manual available on the first page of the forum. It's currently totally disassembled and in the living room of my apartment (my landlord made me take the engine out instead of doing it on the bike). I keep trying to find the gasket for where the valve cover and the head meet. I ordered the gaskets that someone mentioned on the other page but now that I have the engine apart I realize something needs to go there. Do I just use the gasket in a can type of stuff? The old gasket that pealed out of there wasn't the paper style as the cylinder base gasket was, but rather rubbery
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #30
OldNTired

Quote:
I have it apart and followed the manual available on the first page of the forum. It's currently totally disassembled and in the living room of my apartment (my landlord made me take the engine out instead of doing it on the bike). I keep trying to find the gasket for where the valve cover and the head meet. I ordered the gaskets that someone mentioned on the other page but now that I have the engine apart I realize something needs to go there. Do I just use the gasket in a can type of stuff? The old gasket that pealed out of there wasn't the paper style as the cylinder base gasket was, but rather rubbery
There is no gasket that belongs there. Use a high=temp sealant. I used Hylomar Blue.