Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: Windshield question again

Yipee, finally found the lost pics of Lynda's GZ. The shield is a Spitfire 06 if my memory still works.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
blaine

Yea WW it's a "Spitfire".I had one on mine for awhile.I had trouble keeping it tight & vibration free.I upgraded to a National Cycle "street shield" EX. It is supported by 4 points rather than 2 points on the Spitfire,making it much sturdier.It is also quick detachable.
:cool:

Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
mrlmd1

I prefer clear because I want to see the road in front of me better. As you are looking right over the top of the shield, the tinted shield does not block any light to shade your eyes, and it also impairs night riding. The shields do not scratch easily and there would be no difference in scratchability or resistance to scratching with either clear or tinted.
Not to discredit the Spitfire, but it is narrower than the SS28 and the Plexistar so it does not cover the grips and protect your hands from the wind and road debris, and it also uses a 2 point mount rather than a 4 point mount, so it vibrates and rattles around a bit more and is less likely to stay put.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

I must have been very lucky with the Spit Fire on Lynda's GZ. After I put it on it stayed put and never vibrated one bit. The "M" was a different case with a 4 point attachment. Had a bolt back out and dissappear on one ride and then the darn thing almost totally shook loose when she went across the prairies last summer at a very high speed which is understandable.
Time for some Lok-Tite.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #25
FLAJIM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I bought a CLEAR SlipStreamer SS-28 Sport Fairing from Amazon for 134.41. I hope she likes it and it breaks the wind.

Be safe JIM

Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Some riders need a shield to block the wind and make them feel less exposed. I'm sure she will like it.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
mrlmd1

Get her to help you put it on - 4 hands are better than 2 to get it right and one person can hold it while the other tightens the mounts. And she will feel like she accomplished something to add to her bike. And you can both curse together while you do it, then marvel at how well it works when you are done.
As with all windshields, you will have to play with the adjustment to get it right for her - as a general starting point, set the rake (angle of the windshield) parallel with the angle of the forks. If there is too much buffeting of air around her head or from underneath the screen, try then slight adjustments changing the angle either backwards or forwards until you find the sweet spot for her. The height should be set so that she can see straight out just over the top of it rather than though it.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
FLAJIM

Thanks for all your help, I will post pictures when I get it done

Be Safe JIM
Old 02-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #29
FLAJIM

OK, I bought and put on the SS28. My problem is clearance. Even with the lower mounting hardware mounted in the front/ outside of the shield, the shield itself still touches the tank when the bars are turned to the lock position. Did anyone else have this problem ?? Any fixes ??

Thanks again JIM
Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Trim a little off with a hack saw blade. File it smooth and polish the edge with a piece of cardboard. Very unsophisticated way to do things but it works.