Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
tcrave

Re: speed

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the information! I still don't like scooters though! haha

I'm really curious about that expanding pulley you are talking about....

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #22
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

The bell, on the right side of the drive, expands and causes the rear pulley to compress, which in turn enlarges the front pulley. Think of it like constantly changing sprocket sizes on both the front and the rear of your bike all the time. You start out with a little front sprocket and a large rear sprocket. But the faster you go, the larger the front sprocket gets and smaller the rear sprocket gets. It's a very smart invention.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
geezer

haha you dont like scooters? your rideing one! dont let the clutch fool you! :lol:

Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
my gz lost a drag race to a honda reflex scooter this should not be!
boo! hiss! I've never heard of a scooter that could outrun a motorcycle. How did the scooter get above 30? I thought scooters only had one gear?
Google for a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter. You may be surprised. We have met folks on the West Coast who were riding a Burgy two up from New York state. Honda's Silver Wing scooter and the Burgman are just 2 of the larger scooters out there.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #25
tcrave

Quote:
haha you dont like scooters? your rideing one! dont let the clutch fool you! :lol:
LOL, that made me laugh, thanks (not being a smartass at all). I know these aren't the fastest bikes out there, but I like mine. I took my bike on the interstate at hit 65, purring. I wanted to try 70, but I don't have a tach yet so I didn't want to chance it, just incase. I'd like to see a scooter do that!

Like I said, scooters that have license, insurance, and a licensed driver that can keep up with the speed, I don't have a problem with. But, in this area, none of that is true. I think I have seen one, MAYBE two, scooters in the past year that fit that criteria. I guess I just have a lot of bad experience with them. I also see tons of these things parking 5 feet from the door, I would get in a lot of trouble if I tried that with my gz...yet, we are both allowed on the road...and when the scooter is on the road, he can weave around cars, not follow road signs, and wines at 25 mph on a 40 mph road.

haha, thats why i get soo frustrated, they get all the advantages of not being licensed or insured, but also all the advantages of being licensed and insured, even though they aren't. I guess the main part that frustrated me is them taking my damn parking spot and not paying for it, lol.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
tcrave

Jonathan, thanks for the pic and the read. I still don't quite understand how it works, how it expands, but its very interesting...very innovative.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #27
geezer

i had a funny/glorious moment today on the gz. passing is a rare thing on the ol geezer right guys? well today i lane split and blew the socks off a guy on a 50cc scooter doing like you said 25 in a 40. :lol:
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #28
tcrave

Quote:
i had a funny/glorious moment today on the gz. passing is a rare thing on the ol geezer right guys? well today i lane split and blew the socks off a guy on a 50cc scooter doing like you said 25 in a 40. :lol:
:2tup: :rawk:
Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #29
alantf

Over here there are thousands of 50cc scooters. Mostly ridden by "children" who feel the need to show off, & try to pass everything on the road, without any thought for the dangers. They just don't seem to have the mental capability to apprehend these dangers. These are the ones who don't seem to have the accidents, but they sure see a lot. :whistle:
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #30
tcrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Over here there are thousands of 50cc scooters. Mostly ridden by "children" who feel the need to show off, & try to pass everything on the road, without any thought for the dangers. They just don't seem to have the mental capability to apprehend these dangers. These are the ones who don't seem to have the accidents, but they sure see a lot. :whistle:
LOL, i know exactly what you are talking about. when I am sitting at a stoplight and an idiot on a scooter decides to run down between the cars to get to the front of the line, i am SOOO tempted to open my door right as they are driving next to me and say "oops". Sure would teach them a lesson, but i know i would probably end up being the one in trouble somehow. i am also just waiting for one of them to misjudge their distance and smack someones side mirror.