Re: Major fuel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
dried the air filter and re oiled it,
Is this a aftermarket filter?The O.E.M. filter is a dry paper style filter that oil will ruin. :??: Just clarifying so nobody oils a factory filter. :2tup:
Well, it's definitely not paper, and is of the type that needs oil, so if that means it's aftermarket, then it must be. I did not know that. Hard to believe, though, since the bike had less than 1000 miles on it when I got it. The manuals don't say anything about oiling the air filter, and the fact that they say to look for tears indicates paper all right. I wonder when mine got changed, and why. Maybe my incident wasn't the first time the float valve stuck, and the original air filter was ruined by gas, and replaced by the original owner. That kind of flooding would do in a paper filter I should think.
You are right, if the filter got soaked by fuel it would be ruined.It sounds like someone upgraded the filter.The O.E.M. filter is quite expensive & disposable.The aftermarket filter can be bought for the same amount or less & is reuseable.

:rawk: :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Food poisoning..............I like that. And yes I did it to my Vstrom with FI. Filled up 3 or 4 times at a slightly off brand station here. Started getting FI malfunction codes upon start up with a cold engine. Switched back to Chevron and the problem went away. To Techron or not to Techron, that is the question. I now know the answer.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #23
dhgeyer

I just checked Chevron's website to confirm what I thought: there are no Chevron or Texaco stations within 25 miles of where I live. There may be one in NH. So, like Easy Rider, I buy the additive and mix my own. I don't think it's needed every tankful.

I only buy gas from a busy dealer of a known brand when I'm around home. On the road I take the best I can get. Sometimes that isn't very good. Here's a shot of a gas pump I used at a "cooperative" in Anton, CO. I really didn't want to buy gas here, but it had been a while. I'm glad I stopped, as I found out that the next gas was about 100 miles away in St. Francis, KS. I wouldn't have made it.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
blaine

I'm betting there's lots of dirt & moisture in his under ground tanks.Good reasons to use a additive & a fuel filter.

:roll:

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Less than $3 a gallon. I would have to shell out more than $4 for the same quantity of 87 octane. Higher octane requires a bank loan.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #26
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Less than $3 a gallon. I would have to shell out more than $4 for the same quantity of 87 octane. Higher octane requires a bank loan.
Don't worry. The party down here will be over soon enough.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #27
chaindrive

Hello again,

Well, I was not very successful. I pulled the carb after draining the crankcase and removed the bowl. I removed the floats and the needle valve and seat. I could find nothing wrong with anything, so after a liberal application of b-12 chemtool I re-assembled the carb and put it on the bike. I decided the battery was ka-put so purchased a new one. The engine fired right up, but will not idle. When I adjusted the idle down, it will idle for a few moments then die. It is then hard to start. I can get a 1500 rpm idle or nothing. I smell raw fuel but am unable to detect anything on the bike the floor or the carb. (slight smell, running or not). What now???
Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #28
blaine

It sounds like your float may be hanging up,or out of adjustment,as float height is critical.It takes very little to move it out of adjustment.Did you install a new air filter as the bike will not run correctly without it?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #29
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaindrive
The engine fired right up, but will not idle. When I adjusted the idle down, it will idle for a few moments then die. It is then hard to start.
I think we need a "sticky" thread for "Proper use of the choke."

It seems to be coming up a lot lately in all the forums I visit.
SO......what ARE you doing with the choke while this is going on ????

It will NOT run good without the air cleaner in place and it pretty much won't run at all without the choke partly on until it gets good and warm.

Of course, if the needle valve is still leaking and you are getting too MUCH fuel, application of the choke might make matters worse.

After having the carb off, I don't think a slight odor of gas is unusual.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #30
chaindrive

Hello,

Well gang it kicked my behind. I worked on it all day with no improvemnet. I gave up this afternoon and took it to the dealer. Sorry I copped out but just wasn't getting anywhere but more frustrated. Thanks for all the help. Regards, Chaindrive.