Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
bwader

Re: Replacement Tires

Tire wasn't that hard to put on, I used dish soap straight and cheap tire irons from last year. Tube inside was a Pirelli tube so I put it back in, I have an IRC tube as a spare just in case. Took a ride around my neighborhood and its better ride already. I know to take it easy on it for 100 miles. I'm happy it took me 15 minutes to put on the new tire and I saved myself money taking it to a shop.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #22
alantf

What about balancing? BTW, sorry - forgot to check what brand my tyre is.

EDIT :- Checked, and (don't forget, it's a European bike) the factory tyre is a SAVA or SAUA. Can't tell which, because the logo is stylized.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #23
JohnC

I've found having 3 tire irons useful. Two to hold the ends you've already done and the third to advance with. Also, on tube tube tires I always replace the tube and the rim band. It's cheap insurance, IMHO. Powder the tube with talc to help it slip around inside the tire and prevent twisting.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
bwader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
What about balancing? BTW, sorry - forgot to check what brand my tyre is.

EDIT :- Checked, and (don't forget, it's a European bike) the factory tyre is a SAVA or SAUA. Can't tell which, because the logo is stylized.
This is the first time I heard of that name, For that many miles that name should be better known worldwide.
I'm going to use RIDE ON to balance the tire. I wouldn't have bought two 8ouce tubes of it if it didn't have very positive reviews on a few different sites that sell it. Only con really people said is the cost is a bit much. On ride on website they go on and talk about it being 8 times stronger than steel and blah blah blah. What mattered to me was watching some utube videos where they had a tubeless tire roll over some nails, they drilled holes in the tire. And the stuff is like a gel it stays on the contact patch to help balance the tire.

I don't know if it would do that well on a tubed tire, I doubt you could drill holes in the tire or want to do that. Doesn't protect the sidewall or beyond the contact patch is a con.

My rear rim doesn't have any weights on it, so I think it didn't need balanced with that tire.
The stuff should come in in a couple days and I'll post my own findings with it. I'm not riding for a few days, I'm off til then. My joy is commuting with the bike