Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #21
mole2

Re: Howdy y'all

Welcome to the forum Bill. If you ever plan on riding up Myrtle Beach way give a holler. :biggrin:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #22
BillInGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

I hate to say this but I think you have some conflicting plans.

A BIG sheild and the 16T sprocket don't go well together.
Neither does the 16T and keeping up with 65 MPH "interstate" traffic.

Changing the sprocket is fairly easy and inexpensive but I think we can probably save you the trouble. Too bad to 'cause I really liked it that way......but I NEVER ventured on a heavily travelled Interstate (or similar).
You're correct, I do have conflicting plans: local commuting and a long cross-country trip.

I see the 16T as applying to my local commuting. From what I've read it improves the overall readability of the bike around town. Considering that my daily commute is a mile and a half and maxes out at 35 MPH, top end speed is not really a big concern. Typically, I won't see anything over 50 MPH riding locally.

Also, I don't see the 16T as a permanent fixture. If it's not right for the long trip I don't have a problem swapping it out for the 15T. From what I've seen in the How-To's it doesn't seem to be too much trouble. I'll know for sure once I've done it myself.

The windshield, on the other hand, may require some more thought. I really don't need one around town. It's only above about 55 that I start noticing the adverse affects of the wind blast. I like the idea of covering the handlebars, for both the aerodynamics and protecting my hands. I don't like the idea of dropping $150+ to find out that the SS-28 is too much windshield. I may start out with a smaller windshield like the Slipstreamer Spitfire. Plus it's half the price of the SS-28.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
You're correct, I do have conflicting plans: local commuting and a long cross-country trip.
Those two things do NOT necessarily conflict with each other........IF you resign yourself to NOT riding on the freeway-type roads.

I went from Illinois to Atlanta and back with a BIG shield AND a 16T and had no problem at all.
BUT I was happy to use US 41 all the way and not get upset with a 55 MPH nominal speed or those few times when I could not maintain even that.

Wind is not the only reason for a windshield. Rocks and bugs can hurt a LOT, sometimes even with full gear on.

Given the further explanation of your situation, I think you definitely shoud try the 16T. To me, it felt like a different bike.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #24
BillInGA

Currently my planned route is along federal and state highways. Even though I'm not planning on using interstates, I might want to keep that option open.

As I make incremental changes to the bike I'll keep track of the corresponding changes in performance. I found a 15-mile loop that I'll use to assess the effects of each change. It includes sections of US-41 with some good-sized hills, a few miles on I-75 as well as some side roads. I'll use my current configuration as the baseline, since I don't want to go back and undo the pilot screw adjustment.

I'm thinking this thread has gone way off topic, so I'll start a new one in the appropriate spot when I have more to report. Stay tuned...

:rawk:
Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #25
mrlmd1

There's nothing wrong with having a windshield for riding around town. They do just as much in town as on the road protecting your face and neck from road debris flung up by cars, and bugs flying into you. And the SS28 is not a large windshield, and most certainly NOT too large. I really liked mine.