Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 05-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #21
burkbuilds

Re: engine dry on brand new bike

This certainly won't explain all differences in oil consumption, but consider: All machine parts are made with a tolerance. In the case of moving parts like pistons and cylinder walls, there must always be a gap or the engine would seize up instantly. If when the bike is being assembled, you (by random chance) get a cylinder wall that is made to tolerance, but that is towards the smallest hole size allowed by that tolerance, and the piston, also within tolerance, but on the largest diameter allowed within that tolerance, then you have the tightest fit possible for the given limits. On the other hand, if you by chance fit the smallest sized piston allowed in that tolerance with the largest diameter hole for the cylinder in that tolerance, you will have the loosest fit possible within that tolerance and most of the time you get some mix in between, but it can make a significant difference. I understand that the rings are there to help make up that difference and keep compression, but once again, you get back to the tolerance of the rings and the tolerance of the grooves they fit in, some will be loose some tight and again, sometimes just random chance you could get all those components matched up for a relatively loose fit, which would allow more oil to pass through and could account for why some engines burn oil their entire life, but don't seem to increase in their consumption as the engine gets older.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

BB, that was a very well thought out explanation and something we should all remember for a long time. But you could have said the same thing in a lot less words and typing time. To keep it simple, read my answer with a chuckle......IT'S A CRAP SHOOT.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #23
GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
But you could have said the same thing in a lot less words and typing time.

again ..... depends when components were assembled together ........ and how we drive...... :tongue:

no offence, just fun :lol:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Actually it is probably good for an engine to use a little oil. That way it keeps us on our toes and we do a better job of inspecting the bike at more frequent intervals. Besides, topping up a little oil now and again will freshen up the oil additives etc.
I think a lot of folks get too used to the newer cages out there that never need to be topped up and apply that experience to the bike.
2 years ago on our trip Lynda's GZ was barely showing any oil usage(not enough to top up) and one day dropped a fair bit. I added approx a cup of oil. Doesn't sound like a lot but it is nearly 20 % of the oil capacity. Check before every ride and be safe.