Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #21
alantf

Re: Back again....

The 3 phase alternator produces ac. The rectifier unit converts the 3 phase ac to single phase dc, which feeds the battery. The silicon control rectifiers control the dc to the battery, so there can be no over voltage.

What's with this "stator"? No such thing on an alternator. They only existed on the old fashioned dynamos that went out 50 years ago. Sorry, but you're clouding the issue with incorrect advice.

Check the drawings that I've included (above) & you should be able to follow the circuit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #22
DieHardBigRaw

The manual specifically mentions a Stator Coil as part of the charging system. I find no reference to an alternator. I think that there is a language barrier disconnect and we are all referring to the same thing. Either way, the manual on page 6-8 is less than helpful in telling me which wire gets the positive and negative and how (what order) to test 3 lead wires with only a positive and negative cables for my tester? Just don't want to fry my tester or get inaccurate results. Sorry for so many questions, but I really illiterate on all things electric, I can 'wrench' with the best of them, but am all thumbs when it comes to electrical work. Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
alantf

[attachment=0:33excw6s]img081.jpg[/attachment:33excw6s]

I've just checked the manual, & they're referring to the stationary part of the alternator as the "stator". I made my earlier comments, because it is a term that is usually used on dc generators, where the stator carries the field coils. Oh well....I've put up a picture from the manual, showing the tests. The bits with the ? sign are the various places to do the resistance tests. The bits with the V signs are the places to do the voltage tests. The manual tells you what the results should be. This is the test to prove the alternator. If everything's ok, then the next steps will be to test the rectifier system, then the voltage regulator system. But let's do one thing at a time. Test the alternator, then let us know the results. :2tup:

BTW, forgot to mention that you do each test in turn, with the 2 leads on your tester. For the resistance test, it doesn't matter which way round the leads are. It doesn't really matter on the voltage test either. All that'll happen is that you may get a minus sign in front of the reading. Just ignore it. It's the reading that matters. So, to recap.....you're testing between each pair of terminals (1 to 2, 2 to 3, 1 to 3) (then each terminal to ground on the resistance test). :2tup:

Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBigRaw
The manual specifically mentions a Stator Coil as part of the charging system. I find no reference to an alternator. I think that there is a language barrier
:oops: I agree. Sorry Road_Clam. :yes:
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

6 of one. 1/2 dozen of the other.

Terminology aside, (Stator, alternator, generator...) we are all referring to the same thing; The-Thing-That-Generates-Electricity-While-The-Motor-Is-Running.

TTTGEWTMIR

Let's just call it the GEWTMIR. (Geut-meer)