Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #21
Easy Rider

Re: What's that switch do...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
I'm not trying to be awkward, but something just doesn't gel.
Good job.....so far !!

ALL those things that he is talking about are usually done with the clutch all the way OUT; most of your riding is done with it all the way OUT.....and your fingers OFF of the clutch lever too.

Sounds to me like he is overly conscious of "covering" the clutch all the time.......or doesn't understand what that really means.

Not too long ago a rider in one forum said that he NEVER lets the clutch all the way out......and insisted that formal training had taught him to do that. :roll:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #22
Viirin

I like to keep my hand over the clutch all the time just in case i need to stop completely - it's all the way out but my hand is still over it
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #23
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viirin
I like to keep my hand over the clutch all the time just in case i need to stop completely - it's all the way out but my hand is still over it
Not that I want to upset your routine or anything but........I think you need to loosen up a bit.

It is entirely possible, and quite easy actually, to come to a complete stop without pulling in the clutch. If you close the throttle and clamp on both brakes......the engine will die.

Maybe that's not a good way to approach the subject but it really is NOT necessary to cover the clutch like that, if for no other reason than I suspect that it gives you a cramp after a while......holding your fingers up like that. You have already noticed that it makes other "left hand functions" more difficult.

Even when making a panic stop, pulling in the clutch is probably the LAST thing you should be doing.....not the first.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:

Even when making a panic stop, pulling in the clutch is probably the LAST thing you should be doing.....not the first.
We were taught to grab both the clutch and brake in an emergency stop. Also use the rear brake. By pulling in the clutch the rider is already in a position to gear down to match the tranny to the bike's speed. It is a good thing to practice to keep you safe. I had to make an emergency slow down when a deer leaped across the road in front of me. I was also in the right gear to get the hell outta Dodge because the cage behind me did not slow down.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #25
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
We were taught to grab both the clutch and brake in an emergency stop.
Grab it, yes. Stay poised over it with your cheeks clenched.....no !! :biggrin:

Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #26
Viirin

I do 99% of my driving in the city so most of the time i'm constantly changing gear and i might not always have time to find neutral before coming to a complete stop so leave my hand over the clutch - it doesn't get uncomfortable unless i go for a LONG ride and these are few and far between
Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #27
alantf

First of all viirin says he has to let the clutch out, or pull it in, then he says that he's just covering the clutch. "Let the clutch out???" This can ONLY mean that he's riding all the time with the clutch NOT covered, but pulled partly in. There's definitely something VERY wrong here.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #28
alantf

Quote:
i might not always have time to find neutral before coming to a complete stop so

Seems like someone's been giving you bad advice. With the GZ it's always a good idea to get into first before coming to a halt. This is because, with this particular gearbox, it can sometimes be a bit awkward finding first quickly. Anyway, why would you want to be in neutral before stopping. You wouldn't do that in a car with a manual gearbox, would you? You need first gear to set off again, after the stop, don't you? Like the guy said, loosen up, relax. You're not doing yourself any good getting stressed out while you're riding. That's the way accidents happen. Try riding with your hand off the clutch. It'll still be where it was, when you need to stop. :2tup:

Edit :- I've just reread your last post. When you want to stop, just pull in the clutch & apply the brakes. When you've come to a halt, then you can think about getting into first gear. If you're in stop/start city traffic, you'll probably be in a low gear anyway. This might seem contradictory to what I've just said, but I think, in your case, it might help you to relax.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #29
Sarris

Hey Viir.... you need to relax. Way too many noobs get hand cramps, back pain, etc. from riding too tense and clenched up all the time.

As far as it goes, for me anyway, I downshift through the gears to slow the bike and stop in 2nd gear, then I downshift to first after I stop. I typically only use neutral if there is a long wait at the light.

I always pull the front brake lever while stopped to keep the brake light on while traffic is coming from up from behind. When the traffic behind me has stopped, I don't. Also, there is no need to cover the clutch 100% of the time.... again relax your body and enjoy.

Y'all flame away.

:lol: :lol:
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Shift down through the gears to match your speed when coming to a stop. Shift to 1st a few feet from your final stopping position. This ensures a proper gear and power to keep moving if necessary. While at a stop and in gear you are safer because you can get outta there quickly if something ugly is going to happen. There is no harm done to the clutch while sitting at a stop/red light while in gear. They are lubed and cooled by the oil.