Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
iMoon1221

Re: new jet now it wont start

i get that. my girlfriend keeps telling me to take it in and i keep saying "i can do it!"
i just really want to ride it!
my problem started after i did the needle shim mod and bigger jet. iv gone down from 140 to 130. and i just reversed the needle shim mod just to see.. no luck. i would go back to the 120, but..somehow i lost it :/ but i feel like thats not it.
when me and my brother cleanedthe carb we took everything out of it. could it be that a jet isnt screwed in the right number of turns? or the float is somehow out of position?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Have you checked the float height? Or maybe it is hanging up and flooding the entire system.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Goose51683

I know I had a problem with the needle jet when I did the mod. I didn't push the plastic piece above the needle all the way in so that everything was tight. I think you may have mentioned checking this before but I thought I'd mention it.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

After reading through the conversation that it looks like you guys had last night, I was going to suggest what WaterWarrior brought up.
If you were getting gas in the oil, that's alot more gas going into the chamber than what you would expect from being simply a little rich. You must just be washing the cylinder in gasoline.

If you did a complete tear down when you did the jet swap, then you need to check a few things and then try again.

(By the way, the needle clip on these bikes comes in two forms. Some of them have the distinct ridges, like mine did. And some simply slide up and down on the needle, which sounds like what you have. There were also a few carbs that were set up differently. These can be identified in the service manual pretty early on. You need to download that if you haven't already done so. On top of information like I just mentioned, it also has a trouble shooting guide and photos to go along with it. It's an invaluable resource.)
LINK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27

Pull the float bowl again. With the back side of your fingernail, lightly flick the float to make sure it's moving freely. It literally floats to control bowl height. If something causes that to hang up, your bowl will just be always overflowing or too low.

If you removed and cleaned jets, did you count how many turns out the pilot was? Did you tap and remove the cover on the idle adjustment screw (not the idle control knob).

A main jet will increase flow slightly through all ranges of the engine operation, but it's mostly concerned with 3/4-full throttle. That being said, it will still effect your idle and mid range operation. So a little tweaking isn't unheard of. But, again, it should at least crank even if you dropped in a 145 or something. So the issue is somewhere else.

Where in TN are you? I'm in Dalton. I'm not that far and I have spare jets left over from many moons ago.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
iMoon1221

i checked the float and it seems fine
my brother took the jets out but i don't think he counted. im pretty sure he didn't take them all out. ill have to check with him
and we didn't mess with the idle adjustment screw.

i live in Antioch. kinda of in the middle of no where

Old 08-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Shit man, I drove right past you a weekend ago on the way to pick up a buddy in Smyrna...

I frequent a lot of the Pull-A-Parts down all over the SE. If you haven't gotten this sorted out by next weekend (Sept. 6, 7 & 8) I can make a double trip. Buy my breakfast and we'll call it even. I like Supersonic burritos with egg whites and a touch of salsa. Mango/mint Sprite for the lunch break.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
iMoon1221

i finally found the original jet! so now i have 120,130 and 140. so i might not need any more jets but i appreciate it!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #28
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Buy my breakfast and we'll call it even. I like Supersonic burritos with egg whites and a touch of salsa.
A "proper" breakfast consists of sausages, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans, hash browns and fried bread. Followed by toast and marmalade. It's called an English breakfast. Just going into the kitchen for mine, now. :2tup:
Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #29
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Buy my breakfast and we'll call it even. I like Supersonic burritos with egg whites and a touch of salsa.
A "proper" breakfast consists of sausages, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans, hash browns and fried bread. Followed by toast and marmalade. It's called an English breakfast. Just going into the kitchen for mine, now. :2tup:
What, no Spam Al??

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #30
alantf

No, that's for a mid morning snack, along with chips and more baked beans. :roll: