Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #21
OldNTired

Re: Attempting to adjust the valves, questions...

[quote=Water Warrior]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":sb501oat
I actually get to see more Eagles in this area. Real Eagles with feathers and sharp talons. They fly down here from Alaska every year for the winter. The Eagle count volunteers started last week and have positive comments. Lots of early arrivals and the fish/food supply is abundant this year.
Lucky man! The closest (living) Eagles to me are at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, many miles from here.
I'll have to make a point of going to view the Eagles soon. The largest numbers are sometime in January from what I hear so I'll make more than one trip across town. I wish I could figure out how Lynda's DSLR works and I could take a pic with real eye popping clarity across the river.[/quote:sb501oat]

Across town, huh? That's ok, I'm not jealous, not a bit! It only takes me about 5 hours to see some. We still have falcons nearby. But they are mostly leaving now, it's getting a bit cold for them. And cold for me, too!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Actually the Eagles are very cooperative this time of year. Just driving to the coffee shop will let me see one or two sitting in a tree along the way. They are a beautiful bird and should be appreciated. Luckily there is a very dedicated group of folks here who take care of sick and injured Eagles with most returning to the wild after a lot of TLC. There is a dedicated refuge for them that is privately owned but is supported by donations and volunteers.
Just as a matter of interest. I was reading a while ago that the Bald Eagle doesn't have a white head until it matures around 7 or 8 years of age.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #23
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Actually the Eagles are very cooperative this time of year. Just driving to the coffee shop will let me see one or two sitting in a tree along the way. They are a beautiful bird and should be appreciated. Luckily there is a very dedicated group of folks here who take care of sick and injured Eagles with most returning to the wild after a lot of TLC. There is a dedicated refuge for them that is privately owned but is supported by donations and volunteers.
Just as a matter of interest. I was reading a while ago that the Bald Eagle doesn't have a white head until it matures around 7 or 8 years of age.
You do live in a wonderful place, sounds like. I spent some time a while back in Portland, Oregon, and enjoyed every minute of it. And, it was warmer in the winter than where I live! But, it was wet, and not as hot in the summer. Still, I wuldn't mind going a bit farther North for a vacation, just to see what it's like. I had a chance to work a few months in Edmunton years ago, but it was winter and I didn't think I'd enjoy that part!

chandlerbingfl, the only advice I can give at this point is for you to put whatever 'tool' fits best into the slot, grab it with a pair of vise grips, and tap it STRAIGHT IN with a hammer to make sure the 'tool' is seated. Then, while pushing the tool in, turn it, or maybe even tap the tool a bit to help loosen it. Have you tried a penetrating oil on it? I really hope it wasn't cross-threaded!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #24
Water Warrior 2

OldNTired, a few Winter months in Edmonton would have been a lesson to never do it again. I spent 60 winters there..yeah, that is dumb. By the time I realized there were better places to live I had locked myself into a holding pattern with a pension at the end. With age the Winters seem harsher and harder to deal with. Surviving a winter was a relief and then I'd spend the summer in recovery mode just to do it all over again. I retired April/1/2005 and was moved in here less than a month later. Warm fresh air, no flat prairies and really fine people here. Even the dogs are friendlier and happier.
Do I like it here? You bet. I'd love to win a lottery so I could afford a house here. Cutom built with a honkin big garage for toys. Toys may not include another bike though. I lost interest in riding but bikes still hold my attention big time.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #25
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
OldNTired, a few Winter months in Edmonton would have been a lesson to never do it again. I spent 60 winters there..yeah, that is dumb. By the time I realized there were better places to live I had locked myself into a holding pattern with a pension at the end. With age the Winters seem harsher and harder to deal with. Surviving a winter was a relief and then I'd spend the summer in recovery mode just to do it all over again. I retired April/1/2005 and was moved in here less than a month later. Warm fresh air, no flat prairies and really fine people here. Even the dogs are friendlier and happier.
Do I like it here? You bet. I'd love to win a lottery so I could afford a house here. Cutom built with a honkin big garage for toys. Toys may not include another bike though. I lost interest in riding but bikes still hold my attention big time.
Good Lord, 60 winters there! You deserve to live in the tropics after that!
The biggest reason I still live here is the family; 4 kids, 4 grandkids.
But still, I am more tempted every year to move to better climes.
I enjoy the difference of the seasons, but the unpredictability of the place drives me crazy.
A couple days ago, it was in the 60's and sunny, then a couple days in the 20's,
now it's raining 24/7. But, like where you live, the people are great.
Makes you wonder though; I've run into great people all over this country,
so is it really that the people are great or is it folks like you and me
that just get along with most of them? Maybe it is both.
And as far as riding goes, I will ride until I physically can't, and even then
will find it hard to stop.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
chandlerbingfl

Ok I know this is old news but I still haven't been able to get the valves adjusted. I'm trying to put the cash together to have a mobile mechanic over to do this for me. I don't have the correct feeler gauges and I've read so much about what could happen if this is not done properly.

Anyway I was told by someone who does work on bikes and is a mobile mechanic that there is a point where ALL valves are in a closed position. He went on to say that this is the point where he checks the valves to make sure they are within spec or adjusts them accordingly. He said he then runs the motor for a few minutes, places the engine in a state where the valves are in this "closed" position and either adjusts or verifies they are adjusted to spec.....

Does this sound feasible??? I just don't want to have someone else screw up my bike....if someone is going to do that let it be me...

TIA,
chandlerbingfl
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #27
blaine

Yes.This is the way I adjust my valves all the time & my Kawasaki has eight.If the nose of the cam is pointing 180 degrees away from the stem of the valve,the valve is completely closed & can be adjusted.This method removes all the confusion of timing & timing marks.BUT the engine must be over night cold to adjust the valves.He is way off base to suggest starting the engine.You rotate the engine a couple of turns & recheck before closing everything up.
:cool:

Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Water Warrior 2

First time I've heard of adjusting valves with a warm engine. The engine must be cold. Find another mechanic.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #29
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
Well quick update....nothing has worked. I tried WD-40, PB Blaster, the coin, the spark plug gapper and it will not budge....

Any ideas?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks!
chandlerbingfl
I have not been able to get that cap off, but I know a special tool exists for it. I put the bike on blocks, in 5th gear and then rotate the rear wheel until I see the mark [please check the manual in case you don't know what mark I'm talking about]. Be careful that it insn't in the wrong spot, it's only right once every two turns of the crankshaft.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #30
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
Well quick update....nothing has worked. I tried WD-40, PB Blaster, the coin, the spark plug gapper and it will not budge....

Any ideas?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks!
chandlerbingfl
I have not been able to get that cap off, but I know a special tool exists for it. I put the bike on blocks, in 5th gear and then rotate the rear wheel until I see the mark [please check the manual in case you don't know what mark I'm talking about]. Be careful that it insn't in the wrong spot, it's only right once every two turns of the crankshaft.
As long as your sure that the valves are closed (lobes 180 degrees away from the stem) you can adjust.No need for the timing marks.
:cool: