Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: Toolkit

A word to the wise about the SOB tool. I actually did this years ago on a really bad day. I had a fit of rage and threw a hammer at a garage window. Just as the hammer left my hand I remembered the window was plexiglass. The hammer came back at high speed and narrowly missed my wife by a few inches. She stopped coming out to the garage after that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
She stopped coming out to the garage after that.
Not that bad a mistake then? :crackup
Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, there were times when I wished the hammer would not have missed.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
cibolorider

You'll probably need a feeler gauge (one that will have blades small enough for the valve adjustment) and a valve adjustment tool. You can make your own from instructions posted in the HOW TO section. Just search valve adjustment tool.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibolorider
You'll probably need a feeler gauge (one that will have blades small enough for the valve adjustment) and a valve adjustment tool. You can make your own from instructions posted in the HOW TO section. Just search valve adjustment tool.
If you are talking about a valve adjustment tool for the GZ, I read somewhere that a tire valve cap that has the slotted top (to loosen/tighten valve cores) works well. Glue it to the end of a dowel so it won't fall down into the engine.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Quote:
If you are talking about a valve adjustment tool for the GZ, I read somewhere that a tire valve cap that has the slotted top (to loosen/tighten valve cores) works well. Glue it to the end of a dowel so it won't fall down into the engine.
Yep.Works better than the factory one.The factory one is to long to adjust the intake valves with out moving the wiring harness.
:2tup:

Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Depending on the length of dowel needed you might try to crazy glue a slotted cap onto a spare valve stem. Or just tighten it on real good.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
Dave Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Quote:
Depending on the length of dowel needed you might try to crazy glue a slotted cap onto a spare valve stem. Or just tighten it on real good.
That is an ingenious idea. As well, it is a much cheaper option than buying it from Suzuki. Anybody have any pictures of what they made?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #29
blaine

I just put the Scharder valve on a valve stem,long for the front (exhaust) and a shorter one for the rear (intake).

Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Another use for a valve stem. I carry a spare stem and shrader cap on the bike just in case I need a new valve core. I found out a valve core can give up whenever it decides to and leave you stranded. And just maybe one day I can bail out a stranded rider on the road.