Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #11
rusty rider

I tried the kickstand trick at a light near my house that even the larger bikes haven't been able to trip. IT WORKED :2tup: :2tup:
Thanks for the tip :rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfour
A 'more' legal workaround for this is to turn right on red, make a u-turn, then turn right on the same street (light will be green anyway).

I also use this trick when it's hot to avoid overheating at a stop light.

i've done this a few times.

most of the cut-outs around here are round, not rectangular. are those just round loops? or are they most likely the magnet type?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfour
A 'more' legal workaround for this is to turn right on red, make a u-turn, then turn right on the same street (light will be green anyway).

I also use this trick when it's hot to avoid overheating at a stop light.

i've done this a few times.

most of the cut-outs around here are round, not rectangular. are those just round loops? or are they most likely the magnet type?
If you can see the grooves in the asphalt where the sensors are, they are the magnetic (inductive-loop) type. They will detect the change in magnetic field directly above the loop and alert the signal of a vehicle. I've heard of people revving their engine, and even clicking the starter button on their bike to generate a greater magnetic field, but I can't think that's very good for the starter, or an already air-starved engine.

Most GZ250s (later models only?) have a stand switch which will kill the engine if you drop the kickstand while not in neutral, so that's another thing to think about. The stand idea is a smart move though.

Also, some stoplights will "forget" that you're there. The camera-monitored signals have this problem frequently. Flashing your headlight brights might trigger it if this happens, but probably not as well as larger movements, or the pedestrian crossing button.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
5th_bike

I once read in an article about those rectangular electromagnetic loops that they are most sensitive at the corners. However I haven't done it enough to be able to say it is better to stand near a corner of one of those rectangles, than in the middle.

So far I only had one left turn signal not go to green on me, so I carefully went through red when no one was coming from the opposite direction.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
Littlethumper

I thought this might help you jib or anyone!

Drive safe....

Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
JIBTEXHNKA

haha that's from the MSF book, isn't it?

the rectangular ones work fine for me, it's the circular ones i can't seem to make work.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #17
Littlethumper

:oops:i thought you're talking about this...sorry!
:roll: Hmmm..i think i never ended up to a circular ones yet...
Well, if you happen to figured it out, let me know jib!

Drive safe...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #18
Sarris

Traffic Light Problems

This is a device purported to activate magnetic traffic light sensors. I have a buddy with one on his Ninja 250 and he swears by it. It also is alot cheaper than a ticket.

http://www.wrightbrothersbikes.com/signalsorcerer.html

There are several million of these on the web. Just seach for "Motorcycle traffic light activator" and you'll get them.

I've had no problem with lights on my GZ as I usually stop over the sensor wire when I can see them

Good Luck

:2tup:
Old 06-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #19
JIBTEXHNKA

i'm 99% positive that the "signal sorceror" and the "light knight" are just plastic-packaged magnets. save yourself some money and buy a magnet from here http://www.kjmagnetics.com/. they have rubber coated ones that would probably be best but i don't know if they make them in a suitable shape and size. you can rubber-coat it yourself pretty easily following their instructions.

and if you think it's a bunch of BS, which it probably is, super-strong magnets are just plain fun. i bought some for my little brother to play with and they're a blast. ha.

this one, http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0X02SH, is probably your best bet. it's rated for higher temperatures (normal ones lose strength above about 170 degrees F) and it looks like a good shape to stick on the bottom of your bike without getting in the way of anything. they chip easily though, so rubber coating or at least wrapping in plastic might be a good idea.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 AM   #20
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Strong magnets can wreak havoc on your ignition and most other electronics, so be careful where you put them.

In other words, it's your bike.