Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
rayzuki

after some more seat time and and oil change, shifting is much better. everyone and a while I still miss 2nd gear,ends up in neutral but overall much better.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Each bike sounds unique. On mine, it's hard to actually find neutral between 1st and 2nd. I also have what feels like a slight clutch slippage when shifting 3rd through 5th if I keep the rpms up. It doesn't seem to seat itself in gear until I close and reopen the throttle.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Each bike sounds unique. On mine, it's hard to actually find neutral between 1st and 2nd. I also have what feels like a slight clutch slippage when shifting 3rd through 5th if I keep the rpms up. It doesn't seem to seat itself in gear until I close and reopen the throttle.
Mine doesn't like to find neutral unless I'm moving, so if I'm at a traffic light and I need to do anything that requires my left hand, I have to spend 30 seconds to a minute trying to get into neutral, by which time the light I'm waiting at usually changes to green and I have to take off again. Also, fourth and fifth gears on my bike are almost like half-shifts rather than full shifts; I barely raise the lever and I'm in the next gear. For a mass-production product, these bikes certainly seem to have their own unique personalities.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
lindsey

I don't think that the shifting problems that several of you are reporting are the likely to be the result of manufacturing differences. I help maintain and provide training with a fleet that includes 19 GZ250, soon to be 21, and provide training at several other sites with many other GZ250. My experience is that the GZ250 are mechanically very uniform but that improper adjustment and maintenance can cause dramatic differences between individual GZ250
I think that the shifting and finding neutral problems that some of you are reporting are probably a result of some of the following three factors.
1: differences in shifting techniques and skill levels
2: differences in how the clutch cable, clutch lever, and shifter lever are adjusted and positioned on different GZ250
3: lubrication or lack of lubrication of the shift lever on it's shaft.

Try lubricating the shift lever pivot, or remove the lever from the shaft, clean everything up and then lube the shaft and hole and then reassemble the parts.
Several of you have mentioned that your bikes are a few years old and have very few miles. You may have some corrosion or just dried up lube between the shift lever and the shaft that it pivots on. Bikes frequently ridden in the rain, or stored outside exposed to weather or under a bike cover, or stored inside in a humid space, or ridden in cold weather and then stored in a warmer space, are more prone to lubrication wash-out and condensation and corrosion in the shift lever pivot.

Bikes that have fallen or crashed on their left side will sometimes have slight bends in the shift lever which can alter the foot/shift lever relationship and make shifting harder. Sometimes the shaft that runs between the shift lever and the lever at the engine case is bent or otherwise damaged and causes problems too.
A shift lever positioned too high or too low can be harder to reach and operate.

BadBob's note about the differences that footwear can make is true too.

I think that many of your shifting problems can be solved with careful troubleshooting. I will conceed that it is possible that a bike may have an internal problem with the clutch or trans mechanisms but my experience is that these are rare in low mileage bikes. If careful troubleshooting doesn't resolve the issues and if other skilled, trusted riders experience the same problems when riding your bike, then it might be time to take the bike to a good mechanic for additional investigation.
Good luck.

Lindsey
Old 06-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
I also have what feels like a slight clutch slippage when shifting 3rd through 5th if I keep the rpms up.
It probably feels like clutch slippage because it IS! :roll:

The GZ is not a racing bike. What makes you think it is desirable to "keep the rpms up" during an UPshift?

Generally is it NOT good and may lead to premature clutch failure.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
For a mass-production product, these bikes certainly seem to have their own unique personalities.
As do the people who ride them !!

I think most of the differences are ON the seat.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey
I help maintain and provide training with a fleet that includes 19 GZ250, soon to be 21, and provide training at several other sites with many other GZ250.
Experience is the best teacher.
People like this are in a unique position to see things that most of us will never experience.

This is good information. Pay attention, students !!

Thanks for taking the time to share, Lindsey!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
For a mass-production product, these bikes certainly seem to have their own unique personalities.
As do the people who ride them !!

I think most of the differences are ON the seat.
You callin' me a fatass? :tongue:
Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
You callin' me a fatass? :tongue:
No, THAT part is pretty much the same for everybody.
It's the other parts that are different !!! :lol: