Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Center stand - GN250

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidegz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Oops, my bad memory. I had forgotten you had the big Suzuki years ago. Oh well, hopefully my comment wil help some one who has no experience. :lol: :lol:
LOL. I think it will.

For what it's worth, it was a lot of work to get my 82 GS450 up on the center stand. It had been bobbed and lowered (frame cut and rewelded). The centerstand was shortened a bit, but not enough to make it easy. You either 1) really had to muscle that sucker with your upper body, or 2) try to leverage it back and forth, but in doing so almost always rack your shin on the footpeg once it got up on the centerstand. I often opted for #2 because I was face-beat-red dead tired after doing #1 a few times.

When I sold it, I warned potential buyers that they may want to plan to spend some money to get a kickstand installed. Most of them looked at me like it was not a big deal until they actually tried to put the bike up on the centerstand. After which they looked at me like, "Holy crap that's hard."
Back when the Earth was still cooling and I had my Suzuki GT750 I used the Center stand and it was easy. That is until I removed the OEM handy dandy lifting handle to install a rear rack. The long flat arm of the rack was like a cutting tool when lifting a full size bike. Shouda coulda kept that bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
bpdchief

All right kids... the adventure starts in the morning. Stand arrived and I finally have two days off. Hopefully it goes smoothly, otherwise, it will be a drawn out affair done as pay permits O_o .

I'm going in boys... if I'm not back in three days. Hell forget it, none of you would wait three days for me anyway :neener:
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdchief
if I'm not back in three days. Hell forget it, none of you would wait three days for me anyway :neener:
You got that right. :poke2:

Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
bpdchief

The GZ has 4.9 inch ground clearance, the GN had 6.3 . The center stand is 11 inches from foot to center of the pivot tube. Looks like after I get a mounting plate designed, cut and put in place I'll be cutting an inch or so off the legs. We'll see how hard it is to lift on the long legs (IF they're not too long which I think they will be). Pics of the beginning coming tomorrow.

Most of today was devoted to house cleaning :sad:, and I finally raised the needle in the carb - what a difference that made :2tup:
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdchief
I finally raised the needle in the carb - what a difference that made :2tup:
Yep!! Makes all the difference in the world!! :cool:

Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
bpdchief

Started trying to figure out how to mount this center stand. Not being able to locate a GN250 to look at is putting a serious damper on my project. The ground clearances as previously stated are 6.3 for the GN and 4.9 for the GZ. The stand is 11 inches from pivot tube to the feet.

Pictured below - 11 inches from the ground is a 5.25x5.25 hollow frame box incorporated into the swing arm mount. Once a 5x5 mounting plate with ears for the pivot pin is fabricated, this box is the only place to mount said plate, and then, for the stand to offer any lift and stability it would have to be bolted through a minimum 2 inch long tubes to give any lift to the back tire.

Then there is the question of that odd shaped metal bracket sticking out with nothing attached.

Now.. 1. Do I make said mounting plate and see if it and the supporting legs can be bolted through the hollow box and use the whole center stand???

2. Do I make a smaller plate, cut the legs down to 7 inches and bolt to the odd looking plate, or,
3. Do I say ya know, the side stand is working just fine and try to re-ebay the center stand?

Another issue is the chain is right in line with the stand spring, so the spring and foot bar would have to be relocated to the right side of the bike, making it necessary to lift from the right side of the bike to keep from the tension from the spring from tweaking the pivot tube.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
mrlmd1

Re-bay the stand and get one of these to be able to work on the chain or rotate either wheel -
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 98800.html

It's even cheaper when you find those 20% off coupons all over the place.