Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: Choke setting in the cold

Glad your problem's solved and all is good.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Road_Clam

Re: Choke setting in the cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll
Hello!

I was riding today and wondering what the appropriate setting is for the choke when it is cold outside. I was riding today with a high of 38 degrees needing about 1/2-3/4 choke for the bike not to die at idle.

I start her up with full choke for about 5 minutes since it is so cold. Am I using the proper choke settings and is this normal/okay for my bike to need half choke at this temp?

Thanks!
The issue with most all modern bikes is the EPA sets very strict emissions standards for bikes and the standards are aimed at low speed cruising engine emissions output. So the factories jet the a/f mixture ratios so lean that when the temps get cooler the carb jetting becomes even leaner (cold air = leaner running engine, warm air = richer running engine). So riders that live down south it's generally less of an issue, but those of us that live up north it's a much bigger issue. This makes for bikes that hesitate, stall easily, and are hard to start cold. So I ended up pulling the epa plug and richening the air fuel screw 1/2 turn, and I added a shim under the carb needle to richen the low to midrange running. Our GZ runs perfect (even at a chilly 42F) . Problem is most dealerships will not pull the epa plug as it's illegal for them.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)