Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
alantf

Re: sissi bar question

I've said it before, & I'll say it again - I'd NEVER ride a bike without an engine guard, or as we call them in England, "crash bars". That's because their primary function is to protect YOU & your legs if (that should be "when", because every rider in the world has gone down at some time in his/her riding career) the bike goes down. Don't think it can't happen to you. I've been riding for over 45 years, but a couple of years ago I got sideswiped by a 4X4 I was overtaking. There was no time to react, & the bike went down. The only thing that stopped my leg from being squashed or burned on the engine/exhaust was the guard. The guard got bent, but my leg survived. I hope I'm making you think hard enough about making a guard your first purchase. Incidentally, if you do decide to buy a guard, don't buy the Suzuki guard. It's for show only! People on here will be able to advise you, better than me, as to what's the best buys in America. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
daisymazy

thank you so much. i never even thought of that. any suggestions from anyone will be welcome. a sissy bar or rack is something i can do without for a while .i can put my things in my husbands bags . theyre big. safety should always be first and like you i should be prepared. by the way i know spains a great place to live and ride. my daughter lived in spain for 3 years and i spent a month with her every year. thanks again
Old 10-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
mrlmd1

Do a search for MC Enterprises engine guard. It's sturdy, looks good, easy to install, much better than the stock guard sold by Suzuki.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
daisymazy

thanks , i 'll do that today.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Engine bars/crash bars are sacrificial items that save a rider and the bike. Suzuki chose to make the bike sacrificial to save their decorative bars. DUH ! That said, it is probably a lawyer and law suit thing they are trying to avoid.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
mole2

Re: Sissy bar question

Another good bar is the Barons Engine Guard. I have one on my V-Star 650 Classic. I have found the best price shipped at Phat Performance. Just a satisified customer.

Just a note. I went down on a GZ250 and had to have another person lift it off my leg so I could get out from under it. Not a fun position to be in.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Peachy140

Hey, probably a bit late now but as Ive only just joined the forum today I wanted to offer my own 10 cents worth.

I have a sissy bar on my bike and the bars which the saddle bags attach to but no saddle bags or windshield. I bought the bike like that and have been using it to get from A-B. Originally it was a supposed to be a temporary fill in for my dying Virago 535. My personal circumstances have change a bit since I bought the bike. Im not in a position to buy a new one at the moment and Ive just spent a lot of money and time getting various things fixed on it.

Personally I hate the sissy bar. I dont really carry pillions very often and it just spoils the bikes lines. So the next thing I want to do it it is get saddle bags and a windshield (which is a must at speeds over 100 km/h) and remove the sissy bar.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy140

Personally I hate the sissy bar.
Although it can be useful at times, for fastening things such as bags & boxes to. Pack elastics or nets do a great job. :2tup:
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #19
daisymazy

will it fit a 99 gz 250 and how much you want for it? i have been looking at crash bars but if i can get the bars resonable i would love to have them . thanks can you attach a picture
Old 10-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
alantf

He's talking about the backrest on the rear seat, not crashbars, & the postage from Gibraltar might be more than buying a new one. :whistle: