Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
tcrave

Re: bike doenst wanna shift down

If you are having troubles into 1st gear, I don't think these bikes are synchro'd into first gear. Just shift into first before you stop or roll 6 inches then shift. If you are having a problem with all gears, then you may have a different problem. Also, as far as tightening the chain, I have found the easiest way is to just hold a wrench on the side with the muffler, then use a ratchet with a socket on the other side. Make sure you use a torque wrench when tightening it back up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrave
If you are having troubles into 1st gear, I don't think these bikes are synchro'd into first gear. Just shift into first before you stop or roll 6 inches then shift. If you are having a problem with all gears, then you may have a different problem. Also, as far as tightening the chain, I have found the easiest way is to just hold a wrench on the side with the muffler, then use a ratchet with a socket on the other side. Make sure you use a torque wrench when tightening it back up.
Good catch tcrave. No one asked when he was having shifting problems. One must always shift into 1st just before coming to a stop.
To the original poster: is this the situation ? Your problem only concerns shifting down to 1st from neutral ? You should not be in neutral while waiting in traffic.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

New2GZ. You probabbly don't want to hear this but here goes. The tires are 6 or 7 years old on your bike. A safe rule of thumb is replace them every 5 years whether they are worn or not. Rubber does dry out and get harder than it should be. You will eventually need traction and there will not be any. Very dangerous. Others on the forum can chime in and suggest a good replacement that is actually new and grippy. Ya gotta ride safe.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #14
New2GZ

Quote:
sorry, i hardly come to check this site. good catch, tcrave.

im having problem with all gears. for example: when im rolling 35 miles on 5th gear and starting to slow, it's very hard for me to get into 4th. this same goes to all gears. i have noticed that while im in 4th and at full stop, i back up the bike (like 5-7 inches), the gear lever makes a "click" and then (sometimes) im able to shift down to neutral. also, i have noticed this while the engine is getting hot. while it's cold, i dont have this problem.

thanks
e
Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
New2GZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
New2GZ. You probabbly don't want to hear this but here goes. The tires are 6 or 7 years old on your bike. A safe rule of thumb is replace them every 5 years whether they are worn or not. Rubber does dry out and get harder than it should be. You will eventually need traction and there will not be any. Very dangerous. Others on the forum can chime in and suggest a good replacement that is actually new and grippy. Ya gotta ride safe.
im not sure if the previous owner has changed the tires, but as soon as i bought the bike, i took it to inspection center. the inspector didnt say anything. he just gave me the inspection sticker. not sure if he checked for cracks or rotten on the tires.

btw, is it expensive to buy a new tire? can i change it myself?

thanks
E

Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2GZ
Quote:
sorry, i hardly come to check this site. good catch, tcrave.

im having problem with all gears. for example: when im rolling 35 miles on 5th gear and starting to slow, it's very hard for me to get into 4th. this same goes to all gears. i have noticed that while im in 4th and at full stop, i back up the bike (like 5-7 inches), the gear lever makes a "click" and then (sometimes) im able to shift down to neutral. also, i have noticed this while the engine is getting hot. while it's cold, i dont have this problem.

thanks
e
Try shifting down as you slow down. You should coming to a stop shortly after shifting to 1st gear. Use the engine braking to slow the bike as well as the actual brakes. Are you being deliberate with your shifting down ? Make sure you take all the foot pressure off the shifter so it can re-set for the next down shift. The hot and cold thing is really not an issue. The oil heats up and the oil flows more readily and the result is usually a little more pronounced shifting noise but that is normal.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #17
Gz Rider

Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Tires last about 6-7000 miles rear and 10-14,000
My bike's got 20,000 km on it (12,500 miles) & original tyres. The front will be ready for replacing in 1000 to 2000 miles, but the rear still has plenty of tread on it. :2tup:
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
mrlmd1

Every tire has a rectangular box imprinted on the sidewall with a 4 digit code indicating the week and year of manufacture. Take a look for it and you will see how old your tires are. For a first time mechanic, you are better off having the dealer replace and balance them for you. You have to add the additional expense of tire irons, lube, a balancer and wheel weights, bruised knuckles, a few hours of time, etc, and it's a whole lot easier and not much more money, to have the dealer do it. Change your own oil and filter, let the dealer do the tires.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
Gz Rider