Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Way

Re: Landed a new job back home!

Congrats! It is a big deal. And going to college too? Man what did we do without the 'net? For the answers I could have gotten to the questions I asked... I coulda been a contender..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Now tell us what you will be producing and what part you play in the grand scheme of things. Inquiring minds you know..
Also good to hear a good luck story of a company that took a big hit in the past. It could not have been easy for the management and staff to shrink to such a low number.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
burkbuilds

Chattanooga General Services, my new employer, is a specialty Engineering and manufacturing company. Their primary work is consulting with local manufacturers and

restoring older manufacturing equipment to "like new" so they can stay in business, stay competitive and continue to produce high quality products. As an example, we have

technicians and equipment to completely take apart old electric motors, make new shafts for them, rewind the armatures, install new bearings, clean and repaint the

housings and put them all back into service like the day they were originally made. We also make obsolete parts for machinery that can no longer be purchased. That is

where I come in, I take the old worn out parts and measure and figure out what it was supposed to be like when it was new. That process often involves doing a bit of

research and digging for information on line. Then I model it in Solidworks and make multi-view drawings for our machinists so they can produce those pieces. We also do

a lot of things like make specialty tools for the customer and we even have an industrial sewing division that makes everything from protective sleeves and aprons to

specialty tool pouches. We also do more mundane things like rebuild carts and dolly's or weld up specialty items to perform tasks as our customers request them. One

division has specialty cleaning equipment to clean and recondition dies for a nylon manufacturing plant. We even have division that cleans and reconditions some heavy

duty plastic crating platforms for shipping spools of nylon thread. One group recycles or repairs wooden pallets depending on their condition, for our clients. So, lots of

variety, but my part is mostly working with the machine shop crew. Of course we don't have to make every part we use, sometimes you can purchase parts and modify

them or the shafts or mountings so they will work. Like today, I searched and found some specialty casters and wheels for some of our customers rolling carts. I was

finally able to locate the exact size, metal, bearing size, mounting plate size etc to the original with one exception, the original had black rubber wheels and the new ones

had green urethane wheels. So, we are going to use these on three of their carts and let them try it out, if they are happy with it, we will replace them on the rest of the

carts. Well, I've probably bored you to death so I'll stop, but maybe it gives you an idea of what we do to some degree. Three more working days in Atlanta and my two

weeks notice will be fulfilled and I'll move back home, YEA! :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Thank you BB. Sounds like a job that can be very rewarding. Some variety to keep the interest up and a sense of accomplishment when the day is done. Your knowledge base must be tremendous to be able to make decisions and research various pieces of equipment from today's standards to those of a hundred years ago in some cases. :2tup: :2tup: