Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #11
alantf

Re: Idles but wont rev up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
The filter must be checked from the inside.It can look clean from the outside and be plugged.s
Just one question. How do you see inside the filter? mine has a sort of cover at the intake end, & a solid plate at the other. In the 4 years I've had the bike, I've only been able to check it by blowing through, & checking that it "seems" to be clear. Surely there's a way to look inside, or am I missing something? :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

Just one question. How do you see inside the filter? mine has a sort of cover at the intake end, & a solid plate at the other. In the 4 years I've had the bike, I've only been able to check it by blowing through, & checking that it "seems" to be clear. Surely there's a way to look inside, or am I missing something? :??:
I forgot about that cover as I used a after market filter.With the OEM filter,the cover will pop off.Than you can hold the filter up to the light.If no light shines through,the filter is plugged.
:cool:

Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
With the OEM filter,the cover will pop off.
Is that the cover at the intake end, or the flat cover. They both seem pretty solid, so I don't want to damage the filter, trying to get the cover off. :??:

Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

Is that the cover at the intake end, or the flat cover. They both seem pretty solid, so I don't want to damage the filter, trying to get the cover off. :??:
The air diverter at the intake end.
:cool:

Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
BC GZ

Ya it does the same with the choke on, I guess I'll have to take it all apart again

Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
geezer

dude you need to take it all apart again, good thing it only takes an hour to disassmble this bikes fuel system, if i were you id pull the tank drain it pull out the strainer and clean all the gunk off the strainer 05 with 600 miles? you know its jacked all up, go through the carb again, and clean the shit outa it everything nees to come off and be cleanedand and make sure your float is set up right and that the screen is clean of junk when you go back together with it makes sure you dont havee any air leaks, i would spray down the intake manifold and intake track with some carb cleaner and see it its not leaking in ainy air, good idle then dies with throttle sounds like airleak to me bra
Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
It still sounds like most likely a clogged jet.
I agree. It is possible, in some cases, to nurse it past this condition just by letting gas go through it (idling), but if the bike sat for a while, you'll probably have to take more direct measures.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
Dickey

To preface my two cents, I'm a newbie to this engine and my wrenching experience is mostly limited to automobiles; but is there any chance that the ignition is not behaving as it should? My three wheeler is a one lunger and it had an issue like that ages ago that turned out to be a hoky coil wire that was grounding out as soon as the rpm increased. I had rebuilt the carburetor twice before realizing that the engine wasn't ever trying to catch again after letting off the throttle and going back to the idle circuit.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
mrlmd1

There are many reasons your bike is doing this, but an almost new (560 miles) bike should have no problems like that unless a rat ate your wires, It's most likely related to the carb or a vacuum leak and not something in the ignition system. If you feel concerned about that then give everything a careful going over and look at it. You may also have some gummy deposits or dirt in the little screen over the fuel intake tube in the gas tank from sitting for years unused.
Do you have a free flow of fuel from the petcock if you set it to prime and disconnect it from the carb, or open the drain screw on the bottom of the carb with the petcock in prime? Maybe your fuel flow is restricted.
Also try and run it with the gas cap off just to make sure you don't have a gas cap vent problem causing a vacuum in the tank.
Both of those ideas may be far-fetched but are real easy to rule out a fuel delivery problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #20
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Might want to make sure that the vacuum tubes that run under the tank haven't cracked. The petcock flows gas based on engine vacuum. Without Vacuum, you will get no gas. I think you have a weak vacuum which gives you just enough to ilde but once you need to open it up the mixture can't compensate.

Take off the gas tank, replace all vacuum hoses (If for nothing else, simply because it's an '05 that sat for so long and it won't cost you $5. I would do this even if it's not the problem) and flush the tank with a good, strong cleaner.

The good thing about being a single cylinder is that there are only so many things you can check. You'll eventually get this nailed down. And for the benefit of other who read this in the future, please update us with your results.