Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
dentheman

Re: Couple on Harley killed Tuesday.

dhgeyer, I won't disagree with anything you have said, but I myself DO notice a modulating motorcycle headlight more readily than a steady one.

The one I have on my bicycle flashes a bright yellow-green, the same color as roadworkers vests, and I guarantee it gets attention. I suppose having such a color flashing on a motorcycle would be illegal. I think it's the color of the flashing light that makes it so effective, it stands out from other 'silvery' reflections better than a white light.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
As the traffic thins out, people seem less aggressive.
Boy DH, that's the truth. If I try and keep a respectable distance in heavier traffic, someone jumps in the hole. Here in Florida, most refuse to use their turn signals and will cut into a single car opening without any warning. Traffic here runs 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit and 25% of drivers speed at 20 to 25 mph above posted.

We also have a terrible time with red light runners and left turn signal light runners. I can't tell you how many times an impatient driver has honked at me at a traffic light while I'm looking both ways to be sure the coast is clear. My other bitch of the day concerns our Fla. law allowing a right turn on red. The law states that after a FULL stop, you can turn right on red if clear of traffic. Most drivers don't bother to stop and seem to think they are anointed by God to pull into oncoming traffic without even a glance, and of course don't bother to signal.

And cell phone use in cars is the newest scourge of the century. I think their use while driving should be totally banned. Most can't drive worth a shit without them let alone trying to talk or text.

I feel like I have a target painted on me. It's like the wild wild west trying to drive here. I thank the lord every time I get home safely.

The way people drive today is a direct reflection of the deteriorating society in which we live and the poor moral fiber of today's average citizen.

It's a damn shame.

:mad:
Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
The way people drive today is a direct reflection of the deteriorating society in which we live and the poor moral fiber of today's average citizen.

It's a damn shame.

I totally agree with that, too.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Yeah, I know from my bicycle riding that drivers just don't see you if you are smaller than a car. I now use a bright flashing daylight riding light on my bike and it helps tremendously. I see drivers staring at me as if mesmerized, thinking to themselves "What the hell is that"?
Hopefully they think "What the hell is that ? I better not hit it."
Old 10-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Left turns are the killers. All the street books stress being extra vigilant when you see a car waiting (or not) to turn left in front of you. I actually hold up one finger (not that one!) as in "wait a minute (for me to get past)" and try to make eye contact with them. If I don't get any reaction, I slow down to a crawl. I've had some near misses already. Some of the books say that psychologically, because you are NOT a car, they often really don't see you - and I believe that is true.
:plus1: I get especially nervous if they already have their wheels cut waiting to turn left in the intersection.
:sad:
Here is another happy thought to make your blood run cold. They are sitting waiting with wheels turned and can see you easily enough. They wait patiently until some one runs into them from behind. Where does their car go and who does it hit? Stopping and waiting with the front wheels straight is safer for all concerned....................And still continue to ride and drive. Amazing.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
That is one reason I will be getting a headlight modulator (as well as LED brake light flashers) and a WHITE helmet. I have noticed a white helmet is the first thing to catch my eye at a distance, where a dark helmetted motorcyclist tends to blend in and is less noticeable. Also, at first glance the white helmet means motorcycle cop, since the police wear white helmets and no one else does.
I have all of the above. Seems to work so far. Every little bit helps in the search for longer life.

What are you getting for the tail end ? Hyperlights or something else ??
Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:

It's a damn shame.

Sarris, we grew up in a gentler time. Our only hope is to survive the mean streets and arrive home safely.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #18
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
That is one reason I will be getting a headlight modulator (as well as LED brake light flashers) and a WHITE helmet. I have noticed a white helmet is the first thing to catch my eye at a distance, where a dark helmetted motorcyclist tends to blend in and is less noticeable. Also, at first glance the white helmet means motorcycle cop, since the police wear white helmets and no one else does.
I have all of the above. Seems to work so far. Every little bit helps in the search for longer life.

What are you getting for the tail end ? Hyperlights or something else ??
I have no idea what I will be getting, I am just researching and daydreaming until I get a motorcycle. But I am getting my priorities in order (MSF was completed, license and helmet needed before motorcycle, motorcycle, flashing lights, armor, etc. in the order I will purchase), with safety items coming before farkles. I am kind of a safety nut, from riding bicycles for over 45 years, often with 18 wheelers whizzing by at 70-80 mph, and yet to have an accident. Had a few close calls though.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Dentheman, I like your priorities.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #20
alantf

Quote:
My other bitch of the day concerns our Fla. law allowing a right turn on red. The law states that after a FULL stop, you can turn right on red if clear of traffic.
Over here the lights have a flashing amber with an arrow, to show that you can turn right on a "red". At night, when traffic is lighter, the red /green shuts down & all the lights on the junction flash amber. This means that no one has right of way, so it can become total chaos if lots of cars arrive at the junction at the same time. Still, must be some sort of Spanish logic to have traffic lights then shut them down. Other thing is, there's no detectors, just timers, so that when the lights are in use, even if there are no vehicles coming from a certain direction, the lights will give that direction a green, & all the other traffic has to sit & wait while no traffic flows.