Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Mountain bike carrier

Hollow rear axles are more common on dirt bikes and sport bikes. A racing stand can be used to keep the bike upright for maintenance and repairs.
Letting my mind wander a bit I was thinking of a trailer similar and slightly more robust to haul a motorcycle behind a vehicle. I don't have room for an actual trailer but a 1 wheeled affair might not be hard to park somewhere when not in use. I really don't like the idea of loading a bike in the Ranger because of the height/weight issues and the need for long ramps. I'm talking full size 500/600 pound bikes that are more readily dropped by old guys with bad backs. Although we have never had a bike break down or need an actual repair that prevented riding it to the shop there might come a day.
And of course I could indulge in a riding/driving vacation whenever I choose to. It would have been much better than driving my car to Tenn. in 2007 and renting a bike upon arrival. And no I never considered riding the Vstrom all the way there for more a minute. I just wasn't prepared and experienced enough for a trek back and forth across North America on a bike. The bike was capable but the rider was the weak link.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
mrlmd1

If you didn't want to get a dedicated small bike trailer or something else you can load the bike on, there is a bike hauler that attaches to the hitch ball on the car/truck that raises and locks the front wheel of the bike onto the trailer/hauler thing, and drags the bike along riding on it's back wheel only. Minimal fuss to attach it and let it down and release it, no real trailer to tow, the bike rides behind the car with the front wheel off the ground, on it's rear wheel. If you are interested, here's one site that makes this thing: http://www.undertakermts.com/
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
If you didn't want to get a dedicated small bike trailer or something else you can load the bike on, there is a bike hauler that attaches to the hitch ball on the car/truck that raises and locks the front wheel of the bike onto the trailer/hauler thing, and drags the bike along riding on it's back wheel only. Minimal fuss to attach it and let it down and release it, no real trailer to tow, the bike rides behind the car with the front wheel off the ground, on it's rear wheel. If you are interested, here's one site that makes this thing: http://www.undertakermts.com/
That is a neat little rig. Well thought out and does the job without a lot of fuss and muss. I doubt it would be a good idea as a long hauler though. There will still be wear and tear on the rear tire, chain maintenance for some bikes and some bikes make not lube properly even with only a few internal parts spinning while being towed. As a rescue rig it is definitely a winner for anyone at a really bargain price.
Just for fun I am going to try to think up a redesign of the mountain bike carrier to see if I can create a Vstrom Hauler/M-50 Hauler for the back of the Ranger. Gotta keep the brain cells active or loose what is left. I could probably have one made up for about the same price as The Undertaker.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
blaine

That would my main concern,no lubrication to spinning internal parts.I think it needs to be modified to keep rear wheel up off the ground.Around here it is illegal to tow a vehicle with two wheels trailing on the ground.This came about with everybody hauling stock cars on the u-haul type dolly's. :skeptical: :??:

Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
mrlmd1

I saw a trailer hitch bike carrier that's rated at 500lbs, and I think one rated even higher than that, but the ramps are pretty narrow, like 5", and the ramp is pretty steep at about 45 degrees, so it would be a little difficult if not dangerous to get a bike up on one of those and you have to have probably a class III hitch to handle the weight and torque of the whole arrangement.
All you need to haul both bikes is a 4x8 or 5x10 flatbed trailer with a ramp, and they can be had pretty cheap. There's also a small fold up trailer at Harbor Freight which may work if you don't have much space to store a trailer.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I saw a trailer hitch bike carrier that's rated at 500lbs, and I think one rated even higher than that, but the ramps are pretty narrow, like 5", and the ramp is pretty steep at about 45 degrees, so it would be a little difficult if not dangerous to get a bike up on one of those and you have to have probably a class III hitch to handle the weight and torque of the whole arrangement.
All you need to haul both bikes is a 4x8 or 5x10 flatbed trailer with a ramp, and they can be had pretty cheap. There's also a small fold up trailer at Harbor Freight which may work if you don't have much space to store a trailer.
Harbor Freight sounds good but we don't have them up here in the GWN. We do have Princess Automotive that is similar. They usually have trailer parts but not actual trailers to the best of my knowledge. Even the smallest trailers around here are about $1000 and go up from there for something useable to haul a bike. A nice 2 bike trailer with a full width ramp would be $1300 and up. Not a bad price but no where to park it if I buy one.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #17
dannylightning

tailors on a bike are scary, i wold not want to pull one..
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
tailors on a bike are scary, i wold not want to pull one..
Danny, you are speed reading again. :lol: We are talking about a bike hauler not pulling a trailer with a bike. I have seen many trailers pulled by bikes successfully with no problems but not my cup of tea either.