Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Squeeky, and really squeely?????????

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":3qd6wsjv
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

.........and the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone, and the thigh bone's connected to the hip bone.... Whoa..... why did that spring to mind? :haha2:

Good luck. :2tup:
Strangly enough that makes perfect sense to me.
You "foreign" guys are so wierd !! :roll:

:crackup[/quote:3qd6wsjv]
It really is easy if you lean about 5 degress towards crazy. Now where are my meds ????

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

The front brake can be a little screechy (note the usual disclaimer here: I am the anti-mechanic and know nothing of proven value about the workings. If anyone contradicts me on here, they are most likely correct and I am full of shit.) I've noticed this can be amplified by not riding the bike for a bit - perhaps the disc accumulates a thin layer of rust. In any case, I've noticed ALL bike sounds tend to be amplified when you don't wear your helmet. Conversely, the helmet itself introduces a little weird wind sounds. The fact that the screech goes away when applying the brakes seems to be a good indicator that something is riding on either the disc or the drum. One other thing you can check (again - heed the discalimer!) if your front pads are dragging, they will generate a lot of heat. If you can ride a mile or two or three without actually applying the brakes and then check (CAREFULLY) the disc if it's hot, that's an indication you need something adjusted or replaced. Be careful though. The brakes can get hot enough to take off your skin under some circumstances.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Alan has some good thoughts. Maybe a few hard stops(where safe of course)to burn off a thin layer of rust that has developed. The rear drum and front disc are metal and will rust within a short time if not exercised.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
DroidHoff

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked (operative word) at the rear drum last night after riding all day, and really couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'm not all that familiar with brake drums to be honest. I see there is a wear indicator tolerance mark but didn't have the time last night to pick up the OM and figure it out. I will try both suggestions posted earlier sometime tomorrow wx permitting. I do ride almost daily though so I'm not sure how much build up can accumulate and how quickly. As for the heat test of the rear drum, once it cools down a bit I will check it out.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidHoff
Thanks for the advice guys. I looked (operative word) at the rear drum last night after riding all day, and really couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'm not all that familiar with brake drums to be honest. I see there is a wear indicator tolerance mark but didn't have the time last night to pick up the OM and figure it out. I will try both suggestions posted earlier sometime tomorrow wx permitting. I do ride almost daily though so I'm not sure how much build up can accumulate and how quickly. As for the heat test of the rear drum, once it cools down a bit I will check it out.
When in doubt go to a professional or find a friend who is bike savvy and can help you. A hands on approach is the best by far and brakes are not something to guess at when your life could be at risk. The problem is probably simply fixed but don't take chances with brakes.................ever.