Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #11
rayzuki

Re: runs like @#%$

thanks for all the help. seems to be running pretty good right now. I also did the needle shim. Seems to have smoother throtle response. Don't really notice any other difference yet.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #12
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
Seems to have smoother throtle response.
That's what happened to me the very first time I used fuel additive in the tank. :2tup:
Old 07-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
rayzuki

well bad news again. The bike slowly started running better. I thought for sure the seafoam was working. I had been taking short rides over the last 2 weeks and it seemed to be running pretty good. Rode for about an hour yesterday with no issues, rode in to work today, ran like a champ, so I thought. Started off back home, got about 5 minutes away and all the sputtering, hestiating, bogging down, all started up again. Only now its 10 times worse. I managed to limp it back to the office, took 20 minutes. I was able to go about 50 feet then had to pull off. I would rev it a few times with the clutch lever pulled and it seemed to clear up. So I would go another 50 and pull over again. The sputtering, hesitation was so bad I couldn't do anything above 5 mph. Seriously, I could walk faster.This damn thing starts up with no problem and I can sit there and rev all day long and you wouldn't know there is a problem. Once I start to move, there is definatley a problem. I talked to a mechanic today and he said he has heard similar things like this and knows were to start looking. He told me the stupidest thing I could have done was put seafoam in the tank. He told me that stuff has caused more problems than it fixes. I guess I will find out more once I get the bike to him and he tears it apart.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

The mechanic probably has dealt with folks who have used far too much Seafoam and they have suffered the consequences. More is not always better. Not saying you did or didn't but following the instructions is normally the best procedure.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
He told me the stupidest thing I could have done was put seafoam in the tank. He told me that stuff has caused more problems than it fixes.
Not good advice. While Seafoam is not the best carb cleaner on the market, the use of carb cleaners in the gas has saved riders millions of dollars in repair costs........and kept that money away from dishonest mechanics.

BEWARE of inflated repair costs. You may just have some water in the gas or a plugged tank vent.......or a loose or split vacume hose going to the petcock not letting enough gas through.
Any of those things should cost $50 or less to fix.....compared to $150 or more for manually cleaning the carb.

It might NEED a manual cleaning.......but it might not too.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
GTGZ

[/quote]plugged tank vent[/quote]

Ride your bike around until it starts acting up again then take off the gas cap and ride it again to see if the vent is clogged up in the cap. Also check the vacuum hose to the fuel petcock, it could be cracked. Try running with the petcock set on "prime" to see if anything changes. Is there a inline fuel filter?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
rayzuki

things went from bad to worse. This damn thing will start up everytime. It will idol but as soon as you give the throttle a twist, it shuts off. I finally got it to the mechanic, showed him this and his words were "well that is interesting". So much for a warm and fuzzy feeling that it will be an easy/cheap fix. Haven't heard from the mechanic yet but I will post up once I do.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
rayzuki

got it back....what happened is this. Inside the tank, the petcock has to intake tubes with filters, 1 for main fuel and 1 for reserve. The tube for the main fule intake broke off so I was getting unfiltered fuel into the carb. The pirmary jet was fine which is why it would start and idol just fine but the main jet was stuck and pluged full of crap so when twisting the thorttle, the carb would run out of gas. All cleaned up and running like a champ now. :rawk:
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #19
blaine

Quote:
got it back....what happened is this. Inside the tank, the petcock has to intake tubes with filters, 1 for main fuel and 1 for reserve. The tube for the main fule intake broke off so I was getting unfiltered fuel into the carb. The pirmary jet was fine which is why it would start and idol just fine but the main jet was stuck and pluged full of crap so when twisting the thorttle, the carb would run out of gas. All cleaned up and running like a champ now. :rawk:
A very good example of why a inline filter is always a good Idea and investment.How much did they "ding" you for the labour?By the way with the tube off the main fuel intake it would drain the tank leaving you with no reserve fuel when needed.A common problem on the G.Z.

:itsokay: :yes:

Old 08-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
rayzuki

$120 for 2 hours labor