Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
GZ Jess

Re: Bear with me...

I am so trying to follow all of this LOL! Just about everyone I talk to has a different idea of what, when and how to use the choke! And it is probably different on every bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
I am so trying to follow all of this LOL! Just about everyone I talk to has a different idea of what, when and how to use the choke! And it is probably different on every bike.
Sorry. We tend to get side-tracked sometimes. :roll:

A choke always works the same way; it is NOT different on every bike.
You need SOME choke to start the engine when it is COLD.
You need progressively LESS choke as the bike warms up.....until eventually it is completely off.

That assumes a stock bike that does not have a major malfunction......like a clogged air filter, for instance, or bad fuel or a dirty carb. :biggrin:
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
After partially warming up a little more choke to increase the idle would KILL it dead with a terrible mechanical last gasp.
You said "more" and I think he meant "any"......at least that's what I understood.

IIRC, my GZ would take a good bit of choke when hot and would speed up a bit until about half choke where it started to stumble a bit. Don't think I ever took it farther than that. I don't doubt that full choke or too much would make it die.

I still think that applying just a LITTLE choke (enricher) should NOT cause the bike to die.....unless maybe it is running too rich already......in which case you might not need the choke in the first place. It can be tricky.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
There is no fast idle cam on the G.Z.
Nothing inside the carb to accomplish that function either ??

If you leave the choke on too long, the idle speed will go up quite a bit.
I just can't see that happening without letting in a little more AIR too.
It should not speed up much on gas alone.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
There is no fast idle cam on the G.Z.
Nothing inside the carb to accomplish that function either ??

If you leave the choke on too long, the idle speed will go up quite a bit.
I just can't see that happening without letting in a little more AIR too.
It should not speed up much on gas alone.
That is true when bike is cold,will stall out when bike is warm due to more fuel than air.On older vehicles the choke accomplishess same thing by reducing the flow of air to enrichen mixture,therefore the need for a fast idle cam.Fuel enrichment system has less moving parts.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #16
alantf

Quote:
when and how to use the choke! And it is probably different on every bike.
It sure is. My European model is set up richer than the American version, from the factory.(due to less stringent emission regs). This means that it is slightly faster, & the only time I need to use the choke when starting is when it's been standing for 2 or 3 weeks when I've been on holiday.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
dannylightning

yeah you want the choke to be pushed in completely when the bike is warmed up. it will stall out if you pull it out after warm up.

that bike is made to idle fast, when i first got mine i put it down to a low idle and found out that is bad for the engine. so look up some gz videos on youtube
and try to judge your idle speed by those, that is what i did.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
GZ Jess

I'm back....

I have put around 600-700 miles on my bike since I used the Berrymans. Right after the tank of cleaner I checked the plug and it was loose so I tightened it. The bike seemed to be running fine until recently.

Symptoms:
*Hard to start but can be started and kept running with the throttle just slightly twisted until warm
*Choke placement on, 1/2 or off does not make a difference in starting
*Choke turned on (out of curiosity) when egine is warm causes a momentary fast idle then back to normal
*When bike isn't ridden for a couple of days and I get it up to highway speed there is a hot smell for a minute then it is gone
*Started to have a popping or flapping noise from the exhaust when I let off the throttle
*Air Filter and box smell of gas

What I have done:
I got a new plug and used a gapper before installing it
Drained black air box hose (almost 2 ounces of dark gas smelling liquid came out)
Filled tank with more Berrymans

I want to empty the float bowl but haven't found a thread that showed or explained well enough for me to try. (I have never messed with a carb and am a bit scared to do the wrong thing) Any other suggestions or input would be great. Thank you.

Sorry I just noticed that I did not post this on my long thread before like I had intended.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
I want to empty the float bowl but haven't found a thread that showed or explained well enough for me to try.
Go here:
viewtopic.php?p=3814#p3814

Scroll down to the pictures labeled: "Empty the float bowl".
One shows the drain screw with the drain hose OFF and the next one shows it from the other side with the drain hose ON.
Put a can below the end of the drain hose and loosen the screw until gas comes out of the hose; a couple of ounces at most. Leave it open and switch the petcock to "PRIme" for a few seconds to drain some more through the bowl. Tighten the screw; don't over-do it. Switch to PRIme again for a minute or so to re-fill the bowl.

How much B12 did you put in this time ?? You may need to double up.

It sounds a lot like you might have a vacume leak though. If it doesn't perk up after about a half tank we can check that out. Your air filter IS still firmly in place, right ??
Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #20
GZ Jess

Thank you Easy! I did just as your wonderful instructions stated and I drained the bowl. The gas that came out was clean. I don't know why I was so afraid of that!

So I put everything back together and she fired right up with proper use of the choke! This is the first time the choke has done what it is suppose to do for me! I still had some popping when I let off the throttle but last time I used the Berrymans that stopped. Last time I did the recommended ounce per gallon or rather I put 4 oz in a full tank. This time I had just and ounce left after the 4oz so I dumped it in for a total of 5 oz on this full tank.

You must be a mind reader, my air filter is back in but I noticed that I am missing one of the 4 mounting screws. Could that be a problem?

I will let you know after I get through some of this tank of gas.