Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
burkbuilds

Re: I miss my GZ250bike

Hey Mr. Softie, good to see you back on here and congratulations on the new job!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
mr. softie

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove
I've heard the CX500/CX650 Hondas were very well made and very long lasting. By the way, did you know Honda made a CX650 Turbo model? They also tried making a flat track bike with I believe the CX500 engine. It was mounted sideways in the frame as I recall. It wasn't a success though. The CX500CX650 engines were pretty late model push rod engines, but were still pretty high revving even with push rods.

jon
Hi Jon. The turbos came in both the 500 and 650 variants. Fuel injected. I have seen quite a few and they are pretty fast once the turbo spools up. I want one. There was also a "CX650E" model, sold in Europe and Canada, styled like the turbo (toned down) but with carbs. I want one of those too, very cool looking. No, the flat tracker was an experiment, and while fast it was expensive to build. Short lived but an interesting footnote. Yes the transverse twins are known to go 200,000 miles between major overhauls. And they are higher revving for push rod twins. I am turning 5000rpm at 65 mph, redline is at 9000rpm. Mine is happiest at around 75-80mph, with a top speed of 105 or so. I am averaging a bit over 50mpg, over 19,000 miles of mixed high speed touring and bopping around town.
Stock it puts out over 65 hp from 672cc. Good torque, with a strong low end. Four valves per cylinder, single camshaft. There is a fellow who builds salt flats record setters, using these motors. He holds the current world speed record in his class.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
mr. softie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Hey Mr. Softie, good to see you back on here and congratulations on the new job!
Thanks! I started yesterday. Nice to be employed for sure.

Login or Register to Remove Ads