Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
alantf

Re: notes from an even smaller island

I posted a reply, but I've just noticed that it appears to have vanished into the great, grey, electronic void.

O.K. here goes again .......

I've only been to London once in my life, & I never want to go there again! I've never known rip offs as bad in my life. The only reason they can get away with it is that most foreign tourists think that London is the only place to visit, in England. I come from further up north, around Sheffield, Rotherham & Doncaster (if you've got a map!). The people are renowned for their friendliness, the prices are realistic & there are some really nice places to visit within a couple of hours drive. There are museums, art galleries, theatres, coastal resorts, beautiful scenery etc., but no one seems to promote it.

Around 8 years ago, when I was working in this area & couldn't get home at night, I could get a good, clean room, with a full English breakfast included, for £15.

So ..... If anyone is seriously thinking about holidaying in England, forget London - get in touch with me, & I'll help you out with suggestions.

note :- I remember that when I was in London, my wife & I went in a pub. At that time, a pint of beer for me, & a half pint for my wife, cost around £1.50 locally. When the London bar man asked for over £6.00 I thought he'd got my order confused, but - no - that was the price.
This was when I could buy a house in Yorkshire for £15,000, that would cost £500,000 in London.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

Re: notes from an even smaller island

I'm not an expert in UK geography, but I've been to law firms Bristol, Brighton, Leeds, Banbury and Manchester and probably a few other places I've forgotten. Also, took a tour bus to Bath and the 'Henge. We Americans are always fascinated by England. Everything being so historical and all and people speaking the Queen's English. Always cracks me up when they explain this is the "new" pub, built 900 years ago when the "old" pub was sacked by Hannibal or something.

Years ago I had an office in Hammersmith ? for awhile. On the outskirts of London - a tube ride out to the west.