Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hi Everyone

Fossil, congrats on the new bike. The Vulcan is another of those time tested bikes that just work so well. Will you be adding stuff to it for travelling ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Alan, I know what you mean about posers in their costumes. We get a lot of them here too. We also get a lot of real bikers that use their H-Ds as pack mules on long rides and they seam very satisfied with the bikes. There are those who buy the lifestyle and those who buy the bike and ride till the wheels fall off.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Harleys galore with prices around $18,000 to $23,000
Yes, but the point I'm trying to make is that it only cost me the equivalent of $15,000 for a brand new Citroen car. That's got 4 wheels & a lot more work must surely have gone into making it, not to mention the cost of all the materials. I think the answer must be that Harley, the dealers etc get a MUCH bigger profit than the car dealers. The Harley I mentioned is seven times the price of a GZ. In my opinion, I can't see seven times more materials or workmanship. Over here, I could get the equivalent Honda or Suzuki for less than half that price. I really think that it's all to do with " I'VE GOT A HARLEY"

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
alantf

[quote="alantf"]I saw a great retro leather jacket (like The Fonz used to wear) at 518 euros ($650?) [/quote}

This morning I decided to go for a ride to the local leather factory, but they hadn't got any biker gear in, so on my way home I called in at a bike shop that I sometimes use for spares. I got an Interstate leather (A Milwaukee company) Classic Rider leather jacket for 205 euros. In America they go for about $150 (But all imports are more expensive over here) When I got it home & took out the removable liner I couldn't believe the label - MADE IN PAKISTAN. Still, it's a great coat, & the guy said that the only difference between that & the 518 euro jacket was the "Harley" badge sewn on the liner. Oh well..... I'm quite happy to let the posers pay that for a label that no one's going to see while they're wearing the jacket.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
burkbuilds

It's pretty much that way with any clothing line. My home town used to produce an abundance of textiles here (now they are mostly overseas) and the same factory line that made the "cheap" shirts you could buy at K-mart for $8-12 were the same ones they sewed (or glued) a little aligator onto and sold for $30 at other stores. Same for socks, t-shirts and everything else. I once visited San Antonio, Texas and decided to buy me a real cowboy hat there. I went in a Western store, paid a pretty penny for the hat and as I was walking down the street I looked inside only to discover that it was made at Chattanooga Rope and Sadlery, in my hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
drs

Does anyone have a good source for the luggage boxes?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #17
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs
I don't have a source, since I'm not in America, but as for the box itself - For the last few years I've used "shad". At the moment I've got a Shad 46. It's big enough to hold two helmets or my toolbox when I go out on a job. Never had any problems with them. On the other hand, one of the posts said that the Shad side boxes were shite, so I accept that advice, But (personal preference) the top boxes are fine.

Edit :- I looked at the photo in "preview", & the box looks enormous. It's not really bigger than the bike - it's just the angle the photo's been taken at!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
alantf

This seems a better photo to show the size. By the way - no problem (with bike handling) filling it 'til it won't hold anymore. The only problem is that you have to take the backrest (sissy bar?) off, or the box won't open, but the box itself makes a good backrest for your passenger. In fact, my wife (who does a lot of riding behind me) prefers the box to the original backrest.

Just in passing - my wife's 69 years old, & she still rides regularly behind me! Age doesn't matter when you've got a "biker" mentality.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #19
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs
I don't have a source, since I'm not in America, but as for the box itself - For the last few years I've used "shad". At the moment I've got a Shad 46. It's big enough to hold two helmets or my toolbox when I go out on a job. Never had any problems with them. On the other hand, one of the posts said that the Shad side boxes were shite, so I accept that advice, But (personal preference) the top boxes are fine.

Edit :- I looked at the photo in "preview", & the box looks enormous. It's not really bigger than the bike - it's just the angle the photo's been taken at!
What, is Fernando Alonso selling Suzukis in Tenerife now?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
What, is Fernando Alonso selling Suzukis in Tenerife now?
Actually, he's Juan Antonio Alonso Hernandez, & the shop is "Alonso CompeticiĆ³n". I don't know if he's any relative, but the shop's got a few photos of Fernando.