Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: Speedometer NOW working - tackle fuel valve/carb next

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande
Next trip will be to the dealership in the "city" to figure out what's going on with the bike only running with the fuel valve in PRI position.
It's not particularly dangerous as it is a "double" safety feature. Bikes were made without that double safety for a LONG time.
HOWEVER.........
We might have another easy fix here. :yes:

What opens the fuel flow in the valve assembly, in the ON and RES positions, is a tiny vacuum coming from the carb. It gets there through a hose, a fairly small and somewhat fragile hose behind the fuel valve that connects to a port on the carb. It is kind of hard to see and get to but at least have a peek before you go to the shop. It might just be loose at one end.....or cracked or missing.

Anyhow, it is possible that some part has gone bad causing this but HIGHLY unlikely. The fix will probably be simple, quick and cheap. That first "mechanic" you went to is a real BOOB! :cuss:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
bande

Re: Speedometer NOW working - tackle fuel valve/carb nex

Thanks! You guys just might as well go ahead and adopt me now...

If I'm not hurting anything, this little lamb's going to hold off going to any other wolves until she knows a little more (can you say "easy target?"). It's running fine turned to PRIme. I'll try to spend a little more time this weekend (please rain so I won't be tempted to ride instead) looking through manuals and at the bike.

It's tough being so ignorant. But I've come a long way from thinking I was going to have to pay someone to change the speedometer cable! :-)
Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Re: Speedometer NOW working - tackle fuel valve/carb nex

Quote:
It's running fine turned to PRIme.
OK, I started this, maybe I should finish it. :biggrin:

IF your bike is stored INSIDE a building when you are not riding it, you should move the fuel lever to RUN (effectively OFF) while it is inside. This is the way they used to work. You should do this on the VERY remote chance that the carb. fails and leaks gas. If it stays outdoors, then no real reason to mess with doing that. Need to remember to put it back to PRI when riding !!!

Oh, and keep track of your gas. You have NO RESERVE when it is in this condition !!!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
bande

Re: Speedometer not working

Thanks. It is stored inside (one-car/motorcycle/kayak garage with auto door - they're getting cozy - the car's relegated to the outside while the weather's perfect, however, so I can quickly grab the bike and go riding after work (boy, do I have 2-car garage envy - but not enough to spend the $ to expand)). I WILL turn PRIme off while she's resting. And I haven't run out of gas since 1972 - don't want to start now. I'll be sure to keep tabs on the tank. A little easier now that the speedometer/trip meter is working! :-)

Thanks, again, for your patience and advice.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
mr. softie

When I got my gz it did the same thing. I took the fuel petcock off ( after draining the fuel) and carefully disassembled it. There is a little rubber membrane that acts like a valve inside. When the engine is running the intake vacuum "opens" the valve and allows fuel to pass from the run or reserve ports. The rubber had stuck in the closed position. Just taking it apart (watch that spring!) and putting it back together fixed it! I guess you already checked to make sure the vacuum line is connected? Good luck

Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #16
bande

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
I guess you already checked to make sure the vacuum line is connected?
Alright -- remember who you are talking to here. :-) I don't think you could even begin to comprehend what baggage was pushed aside in order to make myself try to figure out what the problem was with the speedometer. (i.e. will I be able to screw the cable back in once I get it unscrewed???) Fear is not my friend, but a persistent unwelcomed companion (he and his buddy, ignorance), unfortunately. Getting po'd because I was getting ripped off was a great motivator. I'll try to transfer those states of mind, but it'll take some time and patience. (Sorry - this isn't a psychology forum, is it?)

I'll try and figure out what you guys are talking about this weekend when I've more time to gather my courage! :-) Was it you, Mr. Softie, who'd taken your carb + apart, did some serious soaking, and put it back together resulting in a like-new running machine? I admire (& envy) those of you who've got the skills and/or "no fear" factor going for you that allows you the great satisfaction of knowing you're taking care of your 2-wheeled friend yourselves. Some day..... :-)
Old 09-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
I'll try and figure out what you guys are talking about this weekend when I've more time to gather my courage! :-)
There were 2 reasons I left the post about the vacuum hose.

First, in the hope that there is something REALLY obvious, like a loose hose that can be reconnected but also so you will know that, whatever is causing the problem, if you have a shop fix it, it should NOT be a costly and time consuming repair.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
bande

Both points well received and very welcomed. I can't tell you how much I appreciate knowing that you're all here and are so generous with your time and expertise/experience! It's the next best thing to having a bunch of great neighborhood buddies. :-)

Didn't see anything obviously loose, but need to print out some diagrams, etc. to take with me to properly identify parts of the bike. Baby steps, but trying to go in the right direction.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
mr. softie

It is said a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, enjoy the trip! Won't be long before you are passing along stuff you have learned along the way.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #20
Newbiker08

Hey there bande,
If you think you built up the courage to check out your fuel valve, make sure you have the manual, and check out bikebandit.com. they have some pretty good exploded view diagrams so you can see how thinks come apart and then go back together.