Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It's a family site. Got to keep it clean.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Arkygs250

Well I run a business off my cell phone. If I miss a call the Customer usually calls somebody else and I miss out on at least $200. But that is ok! I enjoy riding the bike, it saves me gas money and I would like to think my life is worth more than $200.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
i've read and sent text messages while riding. only while going less than 30mph on empty streets, but i'm pretty sure that's not a good excuse

Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
I thought about getting a BT headset for my cell, but decided against it. I don't really need to talk while i'm riding. I'll only be riding back and forth to work 8 miles each way, plus the ocassional weekend outing. Any call can wait the 15 or so minutes it takes me to get to or from home.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
davtnn

talanted group... i tend to concentrate on riding while riding and pull over to make calls . again i am oft surprised what can go wrong on empty streets at 30 mph. But thats me .. personally i would advise against anything that takes away from the ride .. being a target is one thing but a distracted target is another matter.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
i've read and sent text messages while riding. only while going less than 30mph on empty streets, but i'm pretty sure that's not a good excuse
Sounds like a great way to get hurt. Puts you in the same group as cagers waiting to hit some one or something. Please ride more carefully.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #17
Littlethumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
Sounds like a great way to get hurt. Puts you in the same group as cagers waiting to hit some one or something. Please ride more carefully.
I agree with water warrior. Even when i'm in the car driving, i dont answer my cellphone 'til i get to stop or get to my destination before i answer or call them back. I seen many people on their cellphone while driving and they drive like they're drunk or somethin' and sometimes it makes they're driving slow on the fast lane or middle lane :cuss:

Drive safe...
Old 08-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
philbert

Concentration is paramount while riding and I think it would be reckless to use a cell phone, even with hands with free operation. Part of my riding enjoyment is to escape from the things and people that demand my attention throughout the day so not having contact is therapeutic.

JIBTEXHNKA, as for your text messaging that's down right foolish! Your attention is drawn down to that little screen and as my riding instructor said when he saw me looking at my shifter when I first started my riding class: "there's nothing down there to look at but, what's out front will kill you...so keep your eyes forward." Please discontinue your texting, for your family's sake if not your own.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
philbert

My Tourmaster Jet II coat has a zippered pocket along the main zipper in the chest area. It seem's like a great place to hold a phone. Be careful where you put your phone as they are sensitive to moisture. My son's cell phone got wet when he was caught in a downpour while at Summerfest. It wouldn't go into sleep mode when closed and would draw down the battery. When he called the cell phone company he was told to pull the battery and loof for a small dot and if it was red that indicated the phone got wet and the warranty was void. Others have said that this dot is very sensitive and that just the moisture in your breath would turn the color. This may be anecdotal at best but watch out that you phone isn't exposed to moisture of any kind.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
Jenny

I always take my cell phone when I ride. I got my license this month, and my partner made me promise never to leave the house without it. He's concerned that I'll get into an accident and be unconscious in a ditch. I haven't yet figured out how I'll be able to call him under those circumstances ;-) No, seriously, he's more concerned that I'll get into a situation where I'm scared or just completely unsure how to handle it, and he wants me to be able to call for assistance.

That being said, I haven't taken calls while riding. I haven't even *heard* calls while I'm riding because wind noise is loud. Perhaps a louder ring tone would help; I don't know. I do, however, stop when I'm going to be longer than normal, and I'll check my messages. I've found that my modular helmet is great for using my speaker phone as long as I don't care if passer-byers hear it. Perhaps you could check for messages every 30 minutes to make sure you haven't missed a family emergency or a client call.