Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
cconleyjr

i think its just the movement it never fails if ya want the kid to sleep put him on something that moves comes in handy

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
countrydad

Congrats & welcome! Your son will definitely be the envy of his class(you might invest in a big stick for fending of little girls :lol: ) Enjoy riding with and without him. A lot of guys don't like passengers, but I enjoy it every now and again. It will probably be an intense bonding experience with your son!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

That sounds like a lot of fun. Slow quiet streets shouldn't be a problem.

As a father, I'm sure he already knows how careful he should be with his son.

Take care,
Jonathan

Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #14
music man

Somehow I get the impression on this post that the majority of people that read what I said got the Impression that I was saying he was somehow a bad father or didn't know how to take care of his son. I don't know that for sure just kinda got that impression.

I just wanted to clarify that I in no way meant anything like that its just that you see everyday people that ride a motorcycle around the block and think that they can ride any bike any speed with anyone on it, I just wanted to make sure he wasn't in that too confident too soon mode.

Also I have met plenty of people who were parents that weren't smart enough or definitely not responsible enough to bring themselves in out of the rain, much less be responsible for the welfare of their children, and considering I did not know him yet, I was just making sure that I tried to make the dangers of a newbie motorcycle rider with a small child on the back of motorcycle clear, Just in case he was one of the above mentioned people. Which after talking back and forth to him and reading his other posts, he obviously is not.

like no more than an hour ago I ran into exactly that kind of person, a guy went by my house twice in about thirty minutes, with nothing but a t-shirt and shorts on(No Helmet)with a little boy on the back, Maybe four years old at most, with the same outfit(shorts t-shirt, No helmet) going like 35- or 40 the first time they went by, then when I saw them come back by later he was cutting up on it flooring it as he came around the curve by my house. Even though I have no way of knowing if that was the childs father, the point is the same, Not all adults know how careful or how closely they should keep an eye on their child. Which is why I said what I said to him to begin with, after I read it I realized maybe I came on a little thick with it, but I did have the best of intentions when I said it.

I just did not want you guys to get the wrong idea about why I said what I said.

Later
Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
rexolio

Send a message via AIM to rexolio Send a message via Yahoo to rexolio
Guys - thanks for the support. I love my boy tremendously. I'll be safe and if it feels otherwise, I won't do it.

music_man - your intentions were good; I understand what you were saying and I appreciate it. No offense taken.

And thanks to everyone - I'm getting so much great information from this forum. The fact that people actually frequent it and reply makes it even better!
Owner of 2006 GZ250 since June 2008 - Yup, I'm a newbie!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
RichInFla

I say "congrats" to those newbie riders who understand the implication of their carrying passengers with their limited skills (Okay, maybe I'm talking about MY limited skills, but you get the point, it's a good thing to think about putting others on the back of your bike and not just say "hey, got my license, let's go for a ride !!). My wife has already said she's not getting on the back of my bike for at least a year !! (Does it really take a year ??)

In either case, welcome from a even newer newbie. I would love to take my bike to work, but for the past 2 weeks, it's always rained starting anywhere from 3PM to 5PM, and today was no exception. At least I know that I need to be okay on dry roads before I even think about wet roads. Of course, my HD riding neighbor says "aw, just get out there and do it" !! That and I don't really have "armor" yet (see post in "Safety First", LOL).

Anyway, welcome. Once again, this site is great and so are the members. I've learned a whole lot in a short period of time.

Rich
Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
rexolio

Thanks, Rich. And welcome!

I got my first taste of riding in the rain today coming home from work. Man, even with a rain jacket on, I got soaked from neck to toe. I say "rain jacket", it was more like a wind breaker. Guess I need to stop by the bike shop tomorrow and get some rain gear! Rain drops at 45 mph really hurts!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexolio
Guess I need to stop by the bike shop tomorrow and get some rain gear! Rain drops at 45 mph really hurts!
A "wind"shield works as a rain shield too......when you are moving, that is!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
rexolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Good point! Does it change how the bike handles (wind, drag, etc.)?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexolio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Good point! Does it change how the bike handles (wind, drag, etc.)?
Yes. If done correctly, it actually makes a slight improvement in the wind drag ......side winds too.
Even if done wrong it greatly improves rider comfort.