Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
the.blue.bandit

Hahahahaha... I apologize if anyone here has actually taken a bird to the chest because I can't imagine it's very pleasant, but its a pretty humorous mental image.

I've definately got windshield on my 'things to add' list... I wasn't a fan when I first started riding because I rarely ventured out of town and over 40 miles an hour, but now that I'm taking frequent and much longer rides, I think it's pretty much a necessity! Anybody have any recommendations on style/brand/size etc? I'm going to check the other boards of course, but I figured why not ask on this one too

I think I'm turning into a junkie for this site... everyone I've talked to is super friendly and helpful... really glad I joined!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
the.blue.bandit

Lol Easy... I just checked my other thread and see your pro-windshield advocacy. I'll definitely move that to #1 priority now! =D
Old 06-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.blue.bandit
Anybody have any recommendations on style/brand/size etc? I'm going to check the other boards of course, but I figured why not ask on this one too
A bird to the shield is bad enough; one to the chest would cause a laundry problem....... and one to the head.......don't want to think about that. I saw a chicken go through a car windshield once.

I recently replaced a small shield (about the same as the "stock" one, I think) with a Memphis Shades, Santa Cruz.
It's quite a bit larger, covers hands and has lowers. I love it when the weather is cool. I'm guessing it might be a little too good when it gets REAL hot.....but we haven't been there yet.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
LilNinja77

I've taken a bird to the chest AND one to the helmet..........if you haven't guessed animals don't like me when I'm on the motorcycle. The one that hit my helmet was one of those little tiny finch-like birds, I know because it fell in to my lap and died :sad: but the one that hit my chest was a big blackbird.......it made a ruckus and flew off after leaving an ample supply of feathers behind. I've also hit a bunny while going through a blind left-hander, which was no fun what-so-ever :cuss: I'm just happy I haven't hit a deer so far, they're everywhere along the backroads I ride so much. Oooooh, I hit part of a chicken once too. It flew out of a yard and hit the truck in the oncoming lane. When it exploded, a chunk went flying and hit my bike.......I'm telling you, animals are out to get me
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #15
5th_bike

Quote:
Ooo, how's the riding down near Gaithersburg??
Well inside Gaithersburg it's with the cars from traffic light to traffic light, but when you get out of town the back roads are nice but still busy around rush hour...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #16
the.blue.bandit

Ninja... I think you're right, animals seem to have a vendetta against you I hope the birds and random chicken parts didn't hurt you or your ride... that's always the first concern. Living in Hagerstown and riding down into West V. and up to PA, we always have an ample supply of roadkill to watch out for... they may not attack you, but depending on their size and... um... "condition". they can certainly make a bike slide. Myself, I haven't hit any animals on my bike, but I appear to be the Bug Whisperer. Darn things are the size of small aircraft most of the time.

I can imagine there would be considerable traffic down near Gaithersburg... though admittedly, I'm probably one of the small percentage of people that don't mind driving thru town. Now I'm not saying I'm planning on navigating DC any time soon, but I can take on Frederick at least! I was thinking of taking a ride west up past Deep Creek Lake up toward Swallow Falls... have you ever been up that way, or Western MD in general on you bike? I noticed in your first post you mentioned you got it for work commutes, wasn't sure how far you ventured =)
Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
5th_bike

Quote:
Ninja... I think you're right, animals seem to have a vendetta against you I hope the birds and random chicken parts didn't hurt you or your ride... that's always the first concern. Living in Hagerstown and riding down into West V. and up to PA, we always have an ample supply of roadkill to watch out for... they may not attack you, but depending on their size and... um... "condition". they can certainly make a bike slide. Myself, I haven't hit any animals on my bike, but I appear to be the Bug Whisperer. Darn things are the size of small aircraft most of the time.

I can imagine there would be considerable traffic down near Gaithersburg... though admittedly, I'm probably one of the small percentage of people that don't mind driving thru town. Now I'm not saying I'm planning on navigating DC any time soon, but I can take on Frederick at least! I was thinking of taking a ride west up past Deep Creek Lake up toward Swallow Falls... have you ever been up that way, or Western MD in general on you bike? I noticed in your first post you mentioned you got it for work commutes, wasn't sure how far you ventured =)
So far I only nearly missed a rabbit and a squirrel or two. One time I went by the woods and I had the feeling that there were deer waiting to jump in front of me, so I honked a couple times, to no one in particular. Good thing, the sound of a motorcycle seems to scare animals more than the sound of a car.

No, I have never been to Western MD on my bike, I got it last September, started using it in October and now it has 2100 (mainly commuter) miles. I haven't really 'ventured' anywhere beyond a few tens of miles - I'm already glad that I can use the bike for commuting and a little shopping as it is.
Hagerstown is already 1½ hours from my home (taking Rts. 144 and 40, not Rt. 70), so that will be quite a trip. I'll post here again or PM you if and when I'm coming that way.