Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: watery eyes

RR - you might seriously rethink your choice to ride with a half helmet and sunglasses. You have absolutely no protection from anything.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4030

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
Jvacustoms

might also check out glasses that have a foam ring in the back that seat against the eyes if full face is not what u want to do, The army issued me Wylie X sunglasses for increases protection from debris getting in your eyes and prohibiting site they also work well for keeping air from over drying the eye.

there are other companies that make them but i cant vouch for the quality on them.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I just can't vouch even for goggles and half helmets. Even the half helmets that have the fold down face shields aren't enough.

If you ride enough, you are going to crash or drop the bike or get hit with something while on the road. It is a simple fact and inevitability. (If you can't handle that, you probably need to sell the bike) And when that happens, the only thing that you have to protect you are the clothes on your back and the helmet on your head.

Heck, I even agree that with certain bikes, a certain style of helmet looks pretty good. But so what? It doesn't matter how cool you look when your face gets drug across the asphalt or winds up smashed into the lid of someone's trunk or bounced off of your handlebars... And you won't feel so tough after that piece of bark or other random shard of road shrapnel leaves a 3 inch long cut and heavy bruising on your face.

This is not a scare tactic. It is the way it is. We are extremely vulnerable as motorcycle riders and the only things keeping us alive from one day to the next are a little bit of skill, God's mercy, and our riding gear.

If you ride around with no helmet or if you make a habit out of just wearing skull caps, you might as well drink straight mercury, shoot guns at cops and let your kids ride on the dash board while you're on the interstate. :retard:

Old 09-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Gz Rider

Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Fair enough. But people need to make sure that other, less experienced riders know what some of those risks, and perhaps even see photos of what can happen with and without proper riding gear.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

My Dad didn't ride and wasn't moving 50 or 60 mph but that didn't stop a small piece of wire from blinding him in the right eye. From age 14 on he had left side vision only. Try to imagine how the loss of one eye would impact your life.
I did start out years ago wearing sunglasses like most riders were prone to do. 3/4 or full face helmets with no shields. Graduated to safety glasses then goggles for dirt riding. Now have a full face flip up and perscription safety glass lenses.
Food for thought. You are following a pick up down the road. Pick up is hauling bags of gardening stuff. A bag falls off the tailgate and breaks open in front of you. You avoid the bag but ride through a cloud of powder/dust from broken bag. Question of the day is: What chemicals just covered the surface of your eyes ? Why does it burn ? Will your vision be impaired ?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Jvacustoms

Here is a link to the website of the sun/safety glasses with foam enclosure in the rear near your eyes

http://www.wileyx.com/MOTORCYCLE/index.aspx
Old 09-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Spiffy looking shades.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
ecr959

That example that WW gave about the bag falling off the truck ... that was such a perfect example of something that can happen, its realistic, bags fall off trucks all the time. Skin grows back, eyes don't.

BTW I can't view that link for the Wiley glasses from the other post. I keep getting an error.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
Gz Rider