Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
alantf

Re: Back Wheel Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereardo
The brake pedal was stuck in the depressed position,
What caused that? Never known that before, on the GZ. Let us know, so that's something else to watch out for. Only thing I can think of is the plate holding the adjusting screw (under the pedal) being bent out of shape, & the adjusting screw wedging the pedal. After an accident, the plate on my bike was bent, but a big hammer soon put it right with no ill effects. (although it didn't wedge the pedal) :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
dereardo

Well, 3 things i think. For one, it was laid down on that side a couple years ago and the whole unit down there is slightly bent. Also, it appears to be missing a bolt, which must be recent, and so the unit holding the foot peg was pivoted forward a bit. And 3rd I think a slight rust on the brake line (Seattle weather, no garage) also contributed.

Basically if I had done a road inspection like I should have, I might have caught the missing bolt, which was probably the biggest culprit.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Basically if I had done a road inspection like I should have, ....
And maybe even more importantly, you need to get "in tune" with your bike so that you will know when something is not quite right.

I can't in my wildest imagination understand how you could have ridden it until the back hub was red hot and smoking without there being a few clues along the way.

You need to STOP and check things out when you have an unusual feeling. The small amount of time you waste when there is nothing really wrong might be more than made up for some day when there IS something drastically wrong. You were just a hair away from a locked rear or a fire that could have caused you serious injury.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Well, 3 things i think. For one, it was laid down on that side a couple years ago and the whole unit down there is slightly bent. Also, it appears to be missing a bolt, which must be recent, and so the unit holding the foot peg was pivoted forward a bit. And 3rd I think a slight rust on the brake line (Seattle weather, no garage) also contributed.

Basically if I had done a road inspection like I should have, I might have caught the missing bolt, which was probably the biggest culprit.
I would suggest spending some quality time with your bike. Take off the tank and seat to start. Check for loose or missing nuts, bolts or fittings on the entire bike. If something should not move make sure it won't move. If something should move make sure it moves freely and lube it as needed. Get to know the bike. A little TLC goes a long way on a bike. You got questions? Ask us, we've been there done that in most cases.
Keep in mind a bike is not like a car. Bikes in general require more time doing checks, adjustments and kind words.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
alantf

And when you get the brake pedal set up again, check under it, & make sure that the adjusting bolt is actually touching the under side of the brake pedal. Both times my bike went down, the plate holding the adjusting bolt got bent out of shape, & had to be hammered back. :2tup:

Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
dereardo

Well, after taking off the back wheel and opening things up, its looking good. Just need to replace the break shoes and TLC the lines and pedal. Fortunately I was barely away from home when it started feeling out of sorts, so it l must have got it off the road before anything worse happened. I guess I thought they were fused because the back wheel was not moving at first, but that wasn't the case fortunately.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and reminders to not be dangerous.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Use some emery cloth on the brake drum to remove any glazing. Used to do that after soaking our dirt bikes in rivers etc. Brake shoes were a different story. They would loose ALL ability to slow the bike. A light sand blasting to get the grung off and they were just like new. In your case of trying to cook the shoes the prudent solution is new shoes.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
blaine

Be very careful of the brake dust when you are working around the drum or shoes as the dust may contain asbestos,that can be hazardous to your health.Better yet, use a face mask for your safety and health.

:yes:

Old 08-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #19
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
the dust may contain asbestos,that can be hazardous to your health.Better yet, use a face mask for your safety and health.
NOT JUST ANY OLD FACE MASK! Use one specially designed for asbestos! :2tup:
Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
the dust may contain asbestos,that can be hazardous to your health.Better yet, use a face mask for your safety and health. :skull:
NOT JUST ANY OLD FACE MASK! Use one specially designed for asbestos! :2tup:
Most people will not go to that degree of safety.My point was just be aware of the danger and be careful around the dust as a lot of people would not realize the hazards.I brought this up because in his situation with the brakes stuck on, there would be much more dust in and around the drum and shoes than normal.More so if he will be deglazing the drum or shoes.
:rawk: