Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 AM   #11
alantf

Re: They stole my bungie cords....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
My saddlebags lock.
So does my Shad luggage box, but a few months back someone got into the underground parking of our apartment block, & apart from a few other thefts he managed to force the lock on my box. Luckily the box was empty, so the moral is - if you park somewhere that thieves can work undetected, make sure that you don't leave anything in even a locked box. To open the outer doors, you need either a key or remote control, but from then on I've always used the brake disc lock when I park there. If they can get in undetected, I'm not going to take the risk that next time they might find a way to steal whole vehicles.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 AM   #12
alanmcorcoran

I generally don't leave anything in the saddlebags more valuable than my gloves. And I typically park in a highly visible spot when I am out. As someone said above, the best deterrent is the thief's imagination. They really can't be sure that some big badass biker has their big badass bike in full view. Unless, of course, they see me get off it.

I also often lock my helmet to the seat. There is a thin cable loop-y thing that goes through the D-rings and around a hook under the seat. Has anyone had a locked helmet ripped off? Sometimes it's sort of a pain to bring it into small restaurants and coffeeshops.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
Jer

Ist it great that we get trained to work under the assumption that our shit will get stolen and we should be ok with it? Even blame ourselves?

Sad.

Yeah, it is what it is. I know. But still, sad. And if we are to blame, its because we allowed it to happen. You know, having voted away all of our rights to act against those who do us wrong.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

The truly sad part is the so-called trusted friends and relatives we allow in our homes who rip us off. They are just too lazy to actually work for what they want so we become a target. Time to stop or be in a full blown rant.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
burkbuilds

I've never had anybody mess with my saddle bags but I do try to find "conspicuous" highly visible places to park my bike as a deterrent. I think Easy has a good point, if people don't see it, it's a lot less likely to disappear, having said that, I don't leave expensive stuff in my bags either.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
music man

I am glad this discussion came up because I have been wanting to mention this for some time now and just never got around to it. Have you guys noticed that even though if you leave something valuable on the seat of your car or in the bed of your truck, the likelyhood of it growing legs and walking off are almost guaranteed, but yet if you leave a 300 dollar helmet on your bike (unlocked) or leave you cell phone and wallet in your unlocked saddlebags, it is almost guaranteed to still be there when you get back (not always in either situation, but on average). Very odd i would say.

I would bet that most of the time it is the thing that was said on here earlier, most people have a pre-concieved notion of what a motorcycle rider looks like (and how mean him and his friends are). Hell half the time one of my sisters leaves her keys in the ignition, helmet on the seat, unlocked leather saddlebags filled with who knows what kind of goodies for a thief, and you KNOW that if she would have done that that many times in her car, she would have been robbed blind, or worse her car would be gone when she came out of a store or whatever.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #17
burkbuilds

I think Music man is right about there being a psychological deterrent to people stealing stuff from a biker's bike but just like the example in Jer's original post here, they do take stuff off the bikes sometimes. I've seen people leave their helmets just sitting on the bikes, but mine either goes inside with me or get's locked onto the bike. When I first started riding my bike to college, several other riders told me not to leave my helmet outside that 2 or 3 had been stolen the previous quarter, so even though I can see my bike from my classroom window, I bring it in and put it on the coat rack every day.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

So I actually did put my unwanted TV in the back of the Ranger. Nobody wanted it so I was forced to dispose of it in a traditional way.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #19
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Nobody wanted it so I was forced to dispose of it in a traditional way.
Leaving it on the side of the road? Putting it in your garage? Giving it to the Salvation Army? Making an aquarium out of it?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
burkbuilds

Next time just wrap the TV up in gift paper and it'll be gone before you know it!