Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
music man

Re: Motorcycle Muscles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
When someone on here posts a video of themselves picking up a Strat with nothing but their own legs and ass, I will start paying attention. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, it's useless information.

What bike did you pick up? I'll pay to see a video of that.

:plus1: :crackup

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Until then, as far as I'm concerned, it's useless information.

What bike did you pick up? I'll pay to see a video of that.
Oh for crying out loud. I thought you had more "savy" than that, Alan.
Maybe I mis-judged.

Just because a situation hasn't presented itself where the technique has been useful to YOU, does NOT mean that it is useless. I would agree at this point that it is/was and will continue to be useless to YOU because you have dismissed it now.

I picked up my present ride: a Honda Shadow 600, which weighs no more than 2/3 of what your strat does. It's not huge. The first step was to rock it so that the seat came up off the ground about 8 inches. I can't imagine any bike that is so top-heavy that you couldn't do that fairly easily.........but my imagination is somewhat limited at times.

Part of the point of me doing it MYSELF was so that nobody would see.
I'm certainly not going to re-enact it now. :neener:
Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Alan, you might want to get onto a KLR forum to see what is available for the bike in case you drop it again. Less damage and possibly bars that will prevent it from laying completely on it's side. Every little bit helps. As for the Strat I would suggest MC motorcycle bars like Lynda's M-50 has. Very little muscle required in the event you drop it. Ask me, I've done it twice.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

There's no question that the bars make a huge diffference. To be honest, I kind of don't like the way they look, although I suppose I could get over it. They make a pair for the Strat that kinda go with the bike. I doubt they make they make them for the KLR.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
There's no question that the bars make a huge diffference. To be honest, I kind of don't like the way they look, although I suppose I could get over it. They make a pair for the Strat that kinda go with the bike. I doubt they make they make them for the KLR.
That is why I suggested a KLR forum. You may see a homebrew idea that will work well and is simple to make or have made. The KLR has a tremendous aftermarket support system and you might just find what you need on a forum. Either way you have nothing to loose and looking is free.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
blaine

W.W were did you get the driving lights for the M-50?I have the same ones on my Kawasaki,bought at Canadian Tire for $29.95.Sure beats paying $300.00 for a light bar.They came with 35w bulbs,I had to change them to 20w bulbs,as the charging system couldn't keep up.I find a big difference at night with the extra light.
:cool:

Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Oh for crying out loud. I thought you had more "savy" than that, Alan.
Maybe I mis-judged.
I should know better than to get into a dead horse discussion with you, so I won't. You should know, next time you're talking down to someone, that "savvy" is most often spelled with two "v"'s. For the record, I'm pretty comfortable with my amount of savvy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I picked up my present ride: a Honda Shadow 600, which weighs no more than 2/3 of what your strat does. It's not huge. The first step was to rock it so that the seat came up off the ground about 8 inches. I can't imagine any bike that is so top-heavy that you couldn't do that fairly easily
The difference here is that, I did not have to use my imagination, as I have already been presented with the actual situation. Multiple times. To reiterate: seat of both bikes rest firmly on the ground/berm/curb. There was no possibility of rocking - they would not budge. In the case of the KLR, I nearly pulled my arm out of the socket trying to move it an inch. There was absolutely no chance I could get the seat up 8 inches. Or even 4 inches. Or even one inch.

I'm aware from years of other thread wreckage that I will not have the last word on this, but this will be my last post in this thread as it has entered into the "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I" zone.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
W.W were did you get the driving lights for the M-50?I have the same ones on my Kawasaki,bought at Canadian Tire for $29.95.Sure beats paying $300.00 for a light bar.They came with 35w bulbs,I had to change them to 20w bulbs,as the charging system couldn't keep up.I find a big difference at night with the extra light.
:cool:
Slightly different story with the same results. Bought them south of the border at Wally World for $20 and installed 20 watt bulbs. I now have so many extra 35 and 50 watt bulbs I could open a store. I even have a couple 50 watt amber bulbs with nowhere to put them. Princess Auto in Canada usually has a variety of cheap lights that one can afford to break and replace now and again too. A lot like Harbor Freight in the U.S.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #19
blaine

Is the M-50's charging system not strong enough to handle the 35w or 50w bulbs?I just thought the Kawasaki had a lighter system,as it's not really built to be a cruiser.
:??:

Old 10-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Blaine, I needed to leave some reserve for heated gear and such. The M-50 has a SilverStar bulb and the two 20 watt driving lights compliment it nicely. Also the triangular light pattern is a good idea.