Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
ecr959

Re: new electric motorcycle by HONDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Comparable seat height too. Maybe a tad more but Lynda fits her M-50 at 5'4" with riding boots on.
Good to know, WW. I didn't know the M50 had a low seat. I'm 5'6" only with shoes on. I like the M50, I have seen the pics at the website.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

On the road near mile "0" of the Alaska Highway.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Rookie Rider

Hang in there ecr, it will get better. At least youre trying.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
dieter33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Hang in there ecr, it will get better. At least youre trying.

But it's really beautiful on that ride :2tup:
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Eddie,

How did the jacket treat you this winter?

-Jonathan

Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
ecr959

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Eddie,

How did the jacket treat you this winter?

-Jonathan
Hi Jonathan. I've put it on almost as much as my favorite phoney leather jacket. Its warm and it looks cooler than any other jacket I have. Still a little tight around the waist, but less now than back when I got it. I think I AM losing weight but very slow. Here in Raleigh the weather is so crazy, the other night it was 27 degrees, Today its gonna be 70, this weekend it'll be back in the low 50's.

I been riding daily in the last 3 weeks, so I use all my jackets. I think once March comes, it'll begin to be more like 50 - 60 every day.
I can use my favorite denim every day.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
greatmaul

Hi there. I ride on the freeway a couple of hours each way a couple of times a week, so I know about the freeway thing. I can get up to 55-60 in 5th with no problems, and if I drop it into 4th I can get up to 65mph. That's with open freeway and no help from the wind.

If I latch onto the back of a big rig, I can easily do 65-70 in 5th gear, and once I get to the city, with all the traffic, I can cruise at 70-75mph on the freeway. It seems to me that it's all about the wind. If I've got a lot of wind breaks, then speed is no problem. If I'm all out in the open (like I am most of the ride) then speed is often a problem. I spend a lot of time wishing I could find a big rig to tail.

And, er, I'm always looking for a nice V-Strom or SV650, or maybe even a BMW F650 on cl.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul

If I latch onto the back of a big rig, I can easily do 65-70 in 5th gear, and once I get to the city, with all the traffic, I can cruise at 70-75mph on the freeway. It seems to me that it's all about the wind. If I've got a lot of wind breaks, then speed is no problem. If I'm all out in the open (like I am most of the ride) then speed is often a problem. I spend a lot of time wishing I could find a big rig to tail.
That is a very bad habit.Most big rig trailers have retread tires on them,that can & do come apart frequently.If you are close when one of these tires disintegrate,you don't have any time to get out of harms way.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Tire treads are just too scary for me. Followed a truck at a safe distance in my car in 2007 and a trailer tire let go. Almost hit the ditch avoiding the chunks.
As for drafting a truck..............don't do it. What if the truck passes over something and you have no chance to avoid it. All it takes is a piece of fire wood from the back of a pick-up to suddenly appear.
Another thought. This happened to me. Have you ever seen a fist sized rock stuck between the dual tires get fired out at highway speeds. Just like a cannon ball to say the least. I survived but my cage was a little worse for wear after the impact.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
ecr959

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
Hi there. I ride on the freeway a couple of hours each way a couple of times a week, so I know about the freeway thing. I can get up to 55-60 in 5th with no problems, and if I drop it into 4th I can get up to 65mph. That's with open freeway and no help from the wind.
I was afraid to do highway riding, but especially in the last 2 weeks, I've also done 55-60 in 5th gear on a few local highways. Only for short distances. I don't understand what you said , about if you drop to 4th, you can get 65. wouldn't that be straining the engine too much ? As I ride more and more, I understand that this gz is a perfect city bike. The engine is adecuate for that job. Thats what I want /need right now, but I know that I will want to do some distance riding eventually. I got a good friend in Virginia, another very good friend in Huntsville, AL. I also got Jonathan and Mole from this forum who live not too far from me, I might want to visit and say hello to those guys.

The gz250 engine might not have the endurance to handle hrs of 60 mph in 5th.
I will definitely move up to a bigger bike, because the engine has to be adecuate for the job. But this is on my "wish list" for the moment.