Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-09-2024, 11:41 AM   #11
Axeman88

Main fuse blows while riding

Reviving an old thread to share what I can regarding blowing the 20A main fuse while cruising.

I experienced this happening 4 times on a recent LONG ride (370 miles each way). The fuse blew once at about 320 miles on the way out, then 3 more times on the return journey. I had previously ridden this machine for short trips locally about 1500 miles over the last year without ever experiencing the issue. Also, pertinent to one suggestion, I monitored charging voltage on the bike previously, while riding and idling, and it was consistently below 14.2 volts at all times. I will check charging voltage again, soon to make sure this hasn't changed.

My suspicion is that this is most likely a vibration related issue, (or perhaps heat) and is likely due to insulation on the RED wire that goes from the Main fuse to the ignition switch, being compromised at some point, and that wire shorting to ground at that damaged point. Because I had heavily loaded the plastic tool tray under the seat for my trip, this area is my initial suspect.

I'll report back if I get more info on what caused the main fuse to blow 4 times in 700 miles.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2024, 05:23 PM   #12
Vegas Street Rider

Look forward to hearing what you found regarding your issue. It does sound like an exposed wire shorting to ground. Hope the hunt is short.