Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
Nate4s

Re: Bike Bogging Down While Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Maybe a small dead animal or something small, stuck in your exhaust someplace. Just a thought.
It seems to be producing a normal amount of pressure out the exhaust, but I'll do my best to check for dead animals none the less.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
mrlmd1

Make sure the vacuum line leading to the petcock isn't cracked or leaking - maybe you have a gas flow problem or a vacuum leak, and make sure the plug is in the bottom of the carb drain. Check also to see that the air box/cleaner is firmly attached to the carb and the boots attached to the carb are intact and tight.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Nate4s

mrlmd1,

As far as I can tell, there isn't a vacuum leak (PRI and ON run the same) - the hose is attached and in good shape, and there are clamps on both ends. As far as I can tell, the carb boots are securely attached and not leaking air either - is there a more factual way to check for air leaks? I wish I had another carb to borrow and try out so I could potentially rule everything else out...

Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
raul10141964

carbon buildup on the slider can prevent it from open
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4s
is there a more factual way to check for air leaks? I wish I had another carb to borrow and try out so I could potentially rule everything else out...
You can spray some WD-40 around the boots.If you have a leak the idle will increase.I to think you missed some openings when you were cleaning the carb.Did you remove the M.j. when you were cleaning? If not there several small openings that control fuel delivery when the needle lifts as throttle is applied.
:cool:

Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Nate4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4s
is there a more factual way to check for air leaks? I wish I had another carb to borrow and try out so I could potentially rule everything else out...
You can spray some WD-40 around the boots.If you have a leak the idle will increase.I to think you missed some openings when you were cleaning the carb.Did you remove the M.j. when you were cleaning? If not there several small openings that control fuel delivery when the needle lifts as throttle is applied.
Excellent information - although it might be impossible to tell if WD-40 is responsible for an idle increase when my idle is currently so sporadic. I took out all of the jets (if M.J. stands for Main Jet), and thought I got all of the nooks, crannies, and crevices. Do I need to do anything special to clean the areas underneath where the jets screw into? I'm really hoping this is just a carb issue...and not something engine related.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
blaine

Some times if using compressed carb cleaner,it needs to "soak" awhile to get full effect & desolve stubborn residue.I'm pretty confident that another cleaning will fix your problems.Did you remove the plug over the idle mixture screw,so you could remove it to spray some cleaner in the jet.If it is dirty it will effect from idle on up.Also make sure diaphram is seating properly & not leaking.
:2tup:

Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Nate4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Some times if using compressed carb cleaner,it needs to "soak" awhile to get full effect & desolve stubborn residue.I'm pretty confident that another cleaning will fix your problems.Did you remove the plug over the idle mixture screw,so you could remove it to spray some cleaner in the jet.If it is dirty it will effect from idle on up.Also make sure diaphram is seating properly & not leaking.
:2tup:
Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back. :techy:
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
Nate4s

Alright. I found 2 things!

1). There is a hose that attaches to the carb but I can't find out what it's purpose is (NOT: fuel line, vacuum line, or float bowl drain) - it is completely plugged shut - full of spiders and cocoons, just like the rest of the bike. I will replace this.

2). The tip of the Pilot Jet Screw is completely snapped off. The brass plug blocking the pilot screw was blocked off, so the previous owner probably didn't break it. The tip is still sticking in the carb body.

IS THAT IT?! Did we find my issue? Now I just need to wait for a new pilot screw to come in... (I also just bought a second carb off ebay for $60...)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
blaine

Not sure what hose you are referring to,but the tip broken on the pilot jet screw is your main problem.