Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: Clutch cable goes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Everybody should practice this at least once. I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the engine or gears if you have good and/or fresh oil (*glares at Alan*).
Yes good explanation .....BUT.....not sure I agree with the part about "snap open the throttle". Don't really think it is necessary to do more than increase the RPMs a bit and "WFO" could do some real tranny damage if done wrong.

Also you mentioned neutral but I wasn't clear about what you meant there. I would NEVER suggest shifting OUT OF neutral with the engine running without the clutch.

I believe it is possible to ride a bike with a broken clutch cable without shifting. This assumes that you are not on a freeway at the time. I believe the clutch safety switch is on the handle bar and, as such, senses the position of the lever and not the clutch itself.

Cable breaks. Get it into 2nd gear (with engine off). Hold clutch lever against bar; side stand up. Ignition on, hit starter and give it a tiny bit of throttle. Bike should start IN GEAR and off you go. To stop, hit kill switch. If stopped more than a few seconds, turn ignition OFF so headlight won't sap battery.

This probably won't work for more than a few stops 'cause the battery will run down if the stops are close together. It should allow you to get off the road, though, or all the way home if it isn't too far.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "patrick_777":1ybzyv4g
Everybody should practice this at least once. I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the engine or gears if you have good and/or fresh oil (*glares at Alan*).
Yes good explanation .....BUT.....not sure I agree with the part about "snap open the throttle". Don't really think it is necessary to do more than increase the RPMs a bit and "WFO" could do some real tranny damage if done wrong.

Also you mentioned neutral but I wasn't clear about what you meant there. I would NEVER suggest shifting OUT OF neutral with the engine running without the clutch.

I believe it is possible to ride a bike with a broken clutch cable without shifting. This assumes that you are not on a freeway at the time. I believe the clutch safety switch is on the handle bar and, as such, senses the position of the lever and not the clutch itself.

Cable breaks. Get it into 2nd gear (with engine off). Hold clutch lever against bar; side stand up. Ignition on, hit starter and give it a tiny bit of throttle. Bike should start IN GEAR and off you go. To stop, hit kill switch. If stopped more than a few seconds, turn ignition OFF so headlight won't sap battery.

This probably won't work for more than a few stops 'cause the battery will run down if the stops are close together. It should allow you to get off the road, though, or all the way home if it isn't too far.[/quote:1ybzyv4g]

Good thoughts there. I would personally opt for a 1st gear start using the starter. There would be a little less strain on the starter and battery IMHO. After that just keep shifting up and or down as needed.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Good thoughts there. I would personally opt for a 1st gear start using the starter. There would be a little less strain on the starter and battery IMHO. After that just keep shifting up and or down as needed.
I don't think that most people are going to be comfortable shifting without the clutch......especially down. If you agree with that, then you NEED to start in 2nd to get any useable speed at all. :cool:

Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Just a little further note on trannies. When and if you grind some gears do not panic. You are not really grinding gears at all. What you hear are the "dogs" in the tranny. They are qiute robust and can take a fair bit of abuse. The gears themselves are always meshed with one another and the dogs are used to engage the selected gears(driver/driven gears) when you shift. We have "constant mesh" transmissions. Hope this sounds understandable.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":175bnyno
I don't think that most people are going to be comfortable shifting without the clutch......especially down. If you agree with that, then you NEED to start in 2nd to get any useable speed at all. :cool:[/quote:175bnyno]

Very true. I would not recommend this for those not fairly proficient at clutchless shifting. My bad, had a brain fart and wrote to the folks who are comfy with clutchless shifting.