Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: Petcock problem :O

I don't think that was too harsh compared to other threads and comments on here, but if that's the impression, I'll try and tone it down some. I've taken advice from many more knowledgeable people on here, listened to what they said, have followed many threads along the last year I've been here, and have tried to learn from them. What amazes me is that sometimes a member who poses some problem and gets a clear explanation and solution from here (not this thread in particular, but on many), chooses to ignore all the advice and go on their merry way, making up some excuse without ever addressing the issue. Then why bother and post the problem if you aren't interested in the solution? It's not that I or others are trying to impose our will, or that we all do not get some enjoyment out of trying to help others, it's more like there are some people out there who just can't be helped no matter what you do (again, not this thread in particular). Also, the harshness or offensiveness of the comments is the perception of the receiver many times. Anyway, I'll just try and be helpful if I can, make no other comments that might offend you or anyone else, OK? It's hard but we should all do that. :roll: :cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
while extremely helpful, are also kind of harsh in your comments.
It's not what you say but HOW you say it.

Coming right out and suggesting that someone (except for Alan!) is an idiot, says a lot about the person posting.

It is possible to suggest that something might not be the most prudent thing to do without calling one's character or IQ into question. It is possible to be blunt without being nasty.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I don't think that was too harsh compared to other threads and comments on here, but if that's the impression, I'll try and tone it down some.
Here's the thing: There is a BIG difference between taking a poke or two at someone whom you have exchanged a lot of messages with and rightfully feel that you "know"........versus suggesting that a first time poster might be an idiot.

Quite a bit of the former goes on here; it's fun. Thankfully very little of the latter occurs.
This is an important distinction. Do you get it?

Even in your example, a simple "If you aren't going to listen to the advice that you asked for, then I quit." conveys the necessary displeasure without being nasty.

P.S. This is being posted in the spirit of "pay it forward". After decades of Usenet posting, where rude and nasty is often the norm, I took a good flogging on a couple of message boards where that kind of demeanor isn't tollerated. Sometimes it's hard to shift gears !!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
mrlmd1

I got what you said, but I also did not directly call him an idiot like has been done elsewhere on here. I brought up an old saying to try and point out something to him, the fallacy of doing the same thing over and over and hoping for the best. Again, as I said, the harshness or offensiveness of the comments is the perception of the receiver many times, and if he took offense he could have come back to me to let me know and I would have apologized, In the future, since you and AC are jumping on me, and my intention is not to ever really offend anyone, I'll limit my posts to advice/experience, without the editorials. I took offense once at the way one of your posts to me came off, but we all shrug off someone's opinion we don't agree with, again it's how you say it that matters.

I think this particular discussion on this thread should end here, maybe someone else can offer him more advice that's seems less offensive so he can solve his problem. Maybe we should create another topic or message board to air these concerns rather than in the middle of another thread.

We all still "friends?". O_o :??: :yes:
Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Agreed. The End.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I got what you said, but I also did not directly call him an idiot ......
Old 12-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
mrlmd1

You guys are continuing to rag on me for supposedly harsh comments I made on here? Not to belabor this, but have you seen all the vitriol and really nasty, demeaning comments directed at deadman under the "General" topic on "48 states in search of home"? I don't think there's any comparison, and I agree with Alan, "The End."
Old 12-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #18
Orpheus

Back on topic...

This is the same problem I've been having. I just fill up around every 180-200 miles and don't worry about it anymore.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
mr. softie

My gz did that when I first got it, run out of gas completely with petcock on "run" I mean. Turned out it was the long tube had fallen out of the petcock. I would have been very puzzled but for this forum. Found the answer here thanks to the good folks who post here. I spent an entertaining hour draining the tank and removing the petcock, pushed the tube into the hole, and reassembled the whole bit. All with information I found right here.

This is a big part of motorcycle ownership, the fixing and maintaining of the bike. Thanks to all the posters on this forum the fixing is made easier and faster and less confusing. I'm willing to put up with all the different "attitudes" and moods of all the various posters by the way. It is only words after all, take it or leave it. I have yet to see a truly NASTY post on here.

Anyway, THANKS! to all of you for making this a helpful, informative and entertaining forum! And Happy New Year! May we all prosper and be well.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #20
mrlmd1

mr. softie- did you get that info from my post here Dec. 8 in answer to Rick, or did you find it elsewhere? If from me, I'm very glad I was able to help you solve your problem. If from someone else, I'm very glad he was able to solve your problem. That's one of the reasons we are all here.
Happy New Year to all of us geezers (and GZ'ers). :2tup: :cool: