Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
BillInGA

Re: Music

I listen to music on longer rides. I picked up a pair of Skull Candy Ink'd earbuds a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with them. They provide just as mush noise attenuation as my earplugs, which is their primary purpose. The music is just a pleasant bonus.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
I listen to music on longer rides. I picked up a pair of Skull Candy Ink'd earbuds a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with them. They provide just as mush noise attenuation as my earplugs, which is their primary purpose. The music is just a pleasant bonus.

That is what I use too. And I have rode with them without the music on and you are correct, they dampen a lot of the harsher noises you would normally be exposed to on your bike.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
TheWife

I ride with music. I have adhd & music helps me focus. Without it I would be a twitchy little spaz, not good for on the bike! My helmet has the space for heaphones which I prefer since it doesn't drown out all other noise.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viirin
Thanks for letting me know if music was common or taboo guys -
Now that we have established that lots of riders do it and it seems to work out fine..........

You also need to know that in many states it is ILLEGAL to drive or ride with something in BOTH ears. I doubt that this would ever be an issue.....unless the cop has it "in" for you......but it could theoretically apply to noise reducing ear plugs too.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
TheWife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
You also need to know that in many states it is ILLEGAL to drive or ride with something in BOTH ears. I doubt that this would ever be an issue.....unless the cop has it "in" for you......but it could theoretically apply to noise reducing ear plugs too.

I was thinking this too. It's a definite safety issue for both you and emergency vehicles, and then some.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
dannylightning

it is a safety issue imo, i grew up riding bmx bikes, wearing head phones on a bicycle did not feel safe to me. you never know what you are not going to hear and i did not like that at all, no music for me unless the bike has a built in radio, you could always clamp some powered speakers on your handle bars hahahah
Old 05-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
BillInGA

O.C.G.A. (Official Code of Georgia, Amended) ยง 40-6-250. Wearing device which impairs hearing or vision

No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing a headset or headphone which would impair such person's ability to hear, nor shall any person while operating a motor vehicle wear any device which impairs such person's vision; provided, however, that a person may wear a headset or headphone for communication purposes only while operating a motorcycle. This Code section shall not apply to hearing aids or instruments for the improvement of defective human hearing, eyeglasses, or sunglasses. This Code section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer or firefighter equipped with any communications device necessary in the performance of such person's duties.

So, if my headphones are attached to my iPhone...?

Legalities aside, I don't listen at volumes that would completely block out all other sounds. I can hear sirens, horns and my engine. IMO listening to music on a motorcycle is no more distracting than listening to music in a car. In both cases, however, the driver must have his/her primary focus on driving the vehicle.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
Legalities aside, I don't listen at volumes that would completely block out all other sounds. I can hear sirens, horns and my engine. IMO listening to music on a motorcycle is no more distracting than listening to music in a car. In both cases, however, the driver must have his/her primary focus on driving the vehicle.

:plus1: I listen to music in my car WAY louder than I do on my motorcycle. It is just a matter of being responsible with it. :rawk:
Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #19
Viirin

Yeah i can't hear a thing when i'm driving the car - i guess my main concern now is the in-ability to turn off the music as quickly as you could hit the dial on your car radio - gloves aren't made for operating mp3's or phones
Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
diffluere

I tend to only listen to music on long rides. My commute to school involves a lot of maneuvering around idiot college drivers so I have to pay all the attention possible to avoid squishing myself. On the ride home there tend to be less people around so some nights I listen, sometimes not.

On long rides I am trying to make playlists to listen to. The shuffle function on my mp3 sucks and it always plays stuff I don't feel like listening to. However, picking one artist rarely makes a long enough track list for a long ride, so I'll either try and switch the songs at a stop light/stop sign or pull off to stretch and get new tunes.

I just have ear buds and I don't listen at a volume that blocks out other sounds. It's relaxing to have the music on long rides though. Not sure of the legality in Florida, I will have to check...